cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Solved!

My 2 month old Hp pavilion dv6 3131tx hangs/freezes when playing movies, music or using internet

HP Recommended

Heya, This problem is anoying me alot past 2 weeks, my nieuw (2 months old) pavilion dv6 hangs/freezes on music, video's and while using internet. i tried a lot of things already 😞 i started with with my media players, i use itunes, windows media player and vlc. they all got the same problem, so i dont think thats the problem. My second step was installing all the drivers and updates that windows and hp recommended me. This took ages because im living in a colleges campus and the internet is really slow. but finnaly i managed to download all of them. after a rebooth,, i checked if all the drivers and updates where installed.,and they where but the problem was still there. my third step was opening BIOS menu and run both hard drive test and it said that there where no problems detected. Then i took a look at all my settings of my video card, sound card and windows but couldnt detect anything. If someone got an solution i would be really happy to hear them. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,901 16,788
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on the Hard Drive and Memory.  Run both tests and post back if either tests produces an error.

If both the above tests pass, try the following.

Next, load Windows, then from the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

heey m8, i tried those things you said . but unfortunally its still not workking. 😞 the test diddnt gave any problems so thats sad 😕 but it looks like the first couple of minutes the computer is working perfectly about 2/3 minutes but than it gets worse again 😕 do you or does someone got an other salution?

Well thanks DavidPK for the first tips.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how long does the hang last?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Hold down the Windows key and press R.  In to the Run box type msconfig and hit enter.  In the following window, click the Start up tab, remove the tick next to each start up item and then click Apply to make the change.  Reboot the notebook and see if it now runs normally - if browsing the internet, keep to known safe sites as your security software will be disabled.  If it does run without hanging, re-enable one start up item at a time ( start with your security software ), click Apply and restart the notebook to check if it still runs ok.  Keep doing this until you encounter the problem and you will know the last program you set to start with Windows is causing the freezing issue.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

heey m8 🙂 hmm between 1 and 10 seconds and than it works fine again for about 2 minutes and than it hapens again 😕

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

M8 your the best!!!!! I found the program that screwed everything up. there is an external hard disk connected to this dv6. there was an extra program delivered with it. its cald memeo backup, with some add ons. i deleted them all because im not using them at all. my external hard drive is still working like it should be. and my computer is the best again. thanks m8 im really glad that you could help me with this problem. !!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome,  I'm glad it helped :generic:

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem with my HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC.

I followed the instructions and turned off all the start-up items. Only the problem didn't go away.

Usually it only hangs twice a day for 2 secs or so, but the hanging is becoming more frequent. What can I do to fix this problem? I've already spent a lot of money fixing the graphics chip and replacing the motherboard, because it's a problem i've had to deal with before.

Can I be helped?

Kind Regards,

Nvdb89

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have tried these test and it gets stuck on hard drive test (Hard Disk 1 (303)) and the scannow using command prompt also fails at 24% (cannot complete).
The problem i'm having is applications not responding.
Can you help?
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation