Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 4 (1,587 Views)

My HP Pavilion dv6910us CD/DVD drive is missing

My HP Pavilion dv6910us CD/DVD drive has stopped working.  I've gone through a few different checks and nothing has worked.  Here's what I've done so far

1. Checked device manager:  CD/DVD drive not listed at all

2. Checked BIOS:  ATAPI CD/DVD Rom Drive IS listed in Boot order

3. Tried mulitple Microsoft Fix It exe:  Program could not find device

4. Checked for Windows update: installed all updates and resarted compter, no difference

5. Check regedit:  No lowwer or upper filter listed

6. Tried to reassign letter:  CD/DVD not found to do so

I wanted to update drivers, but the instructions listed told me to go to the device manager to check for updates so I couldn't do so because the device is not listed.  Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (1,522 Views)

Re: My HP Pavilion dv6910us CD/DVD drive is missing

Hi,

You could see if your drive will boot from your Recovery DVD as this should happen independently from any possible problem with Windows - ( insert the disc and then restart ).  If it does, cancel the installation.

If it doesn't boot from the disc, this would probably indicate a Hardware problem with the optical drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Student
Message 3 of 4 (1,488 Views)

Hi,

I too am having the exact same problem.

I am certain the CD/DVD ROM drive is working perfectly well as I was able to have my recovery DVD boot correctly. I also went into the BIOS setup and the DVD drive shows up fine too.

I read in other sites there are a fair number of folks having this issue. Won't reinstalling the driver fix this issue? There aren't any drivers for the DVD drive on HP's support site.

I really need help please.

Thank you,

Bondtrails

Student
Message 4 of 4 (1,102 Views)

Hi, have the same issue.  I could not boot from recovery cd, so I replaced the drive.  However, the same issue.  Can't boot and Windows won't recognize.  What's next?  Laptop works great otherwise, no issues except this annoying one.  Can you help?

Patrick

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation