cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BoulderBill
Level 3
29 20 2 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

My HP dv4-1145go is dead - no lights, no video, nothing.

HP Recommended

A few months ago, my dv4 stopped working. This is a unit that I would like to get working, so I can take it on trips and use it for email and web browsing.

My diagnostic skills are limited, and a multimeter is the extent of my test equipment. I don't wish to spend money on the wrong parts, but am willing and able to replace the motherboard if that is the correct solution. Refurbished boards are available on the Internet within my price range, which is around $100, as the machine is 5 or 6 years old.

Your experts can help me greatly by commenting and suggesting steps I take to diagnose the problem. Here is what I have done to date.

Upon inspection, I first notice that the power jack light was out, so I exchanged the external power adapter with another one of HP brand and nothing changed. I tried the dv4 power adapter, also with an HP label, on my HP dv6700 and it worked properly. So, for now I think my power adapter is good.

I then removed the motherboard from the case and inspected it for burned components or other signs of damage. Nothing is obviously broken or burned, but I did find a "fist" full of dog hair which I removed from the fan. Whether it was enough hair to stop the fan and overheat the unit is not known. I do worry about the processor being damaged, but don't know how to verify it. Any comment made on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

To be on the safe side I ordered a power jack and cable for a modest amount of money. It has yet to arrive, but seems like a wise investment.

That is about the extent of my efforts, and I do hope an expert will take my plight to heart and make comments and suggestions to help me find the cause of the laptop's failure. Then I can best decide on the right solution.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,380 44,157 7,103 12,558
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would say you are selling yourself short. You have done exactly what a professional tech would do. Unfortunately, without a known good motherboard it is not possible to test the CPU. However, I can tell you the odds are better tnan 10 to 1 that the problem is the motherboard, and not the CPU. Wait for the jack and cable to get there and try it. There is a small chance that is the problem. If it does not fix the problem, get the motherboard. You have a 90% chance that will fix it. If not, then likelly the board and the CPU are dead anyway and you can pick up a compatible processor for something less than the board. As you suspect, the culprit was likely heat buildup from the dust clog. 

BoulderBill
Author
Level 3
29 20 2 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the compliment and suggestion to move forward. I will do what you suggest. Watch this post for updates, but I may take time in getting it all done. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation