Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Notebook will only charge if it is powered off or in sleep mode.  If I plug the ac adaptor in and the laptop is being used, the light is white.  If I close the lid, the light turns orange and it charges.  This problem began about a month ago when I accidently drained my battery.  Since then the laptop will not show that it is charging or recognize the ac adaptor.  I aquired a new AC Adaptor, and that did not solve the problem.  

I've also done the following:

- Updated BIOS

- Removed the battery and attempted to power on with just the AC Adaptor plugged in (the laptop will not turn on)

- Run a battery check - says its ok

- Run a AC Adaptor check (with the old and new adaptors) - they cannot be detected

- Removed the battery and unplugged the laptop - held the power button for fifteen seconds and powered it back up again 

None of these things have worked.  I've searched the internet for hours and found this to be a very common problem, but no one seems to have a solution.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

i have a feeling that it might be something hardware related but i am not quite sure on that.  sadly there is no settings that can allow to stop charging like in some dell laptops.  they have an option to stop charging the computer from within software.  although it does disable after a reboot but back to your computer.  i have not seen this before and i am not sure what to tell you.  

Please remember to select the answer
HP Recommended

I suspect it is a hardware issue as well, which frustrates me even more.  I've had this laptop for a little over 3 months, this shouldn't be an issue.  I spent an hour on the phone with HP tech support the last time and they were running out of options.  I'm calling them back after the 4th and hoping to get a solution soon.  It's terribly inconvenient that I can't charge my notebook while I'm using it.  

HP Recommended
If the laptop is still under warrenty send the laptop in fot warrenty. That would be your best bet at this point. Most likely what will happen is that they will end up giving you a new laptop or they will replace the motherboard. Dont forget to back up your data for safe keeping.
Please remember to select the answer
HP Recommended

Did this ever get resolved?  I am having the same issue with my HP Spectre and very similar cause (i.e let the battery drain completely)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.