Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mikki2670 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My hp 15 notebook caps lock and wifi lights are on and blinking 3 times.

hp 15 notebook

My hp 15 laptop has a black screen, and the caps lock and wifif lights r blinking, 3 times. I have shut computer down ,removed battery, taken the ram out and then placed it back in, and still nothing.

9 REPLIES
Tutor Cesar_A3 Tutor
Tutor
13 1 2
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi mikki2670,

HP and Compaq notebook computers use blinking LEDs to identify startup errors. If you see the LEDs blinking (usually 1 - 8 blinks in a series)

Turn it on without the battery

Try to turn it on with a different battey.

Also you can review this link, it provides possible solutions : 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

Regards

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
177 10 53
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello mikki2670... I'm sorry you're having an issue with your MP 15.

The 3 blink code indicates a memory issue.  You may need to repalce the memory module.

I hope this helps!  Please let us know the results of your troubleshooting and repair.

DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as
    Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the "thumbs up" icon to give me Kudos!
0 Kudos
mikki2670 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bruce,
Thank you, is the ram the same thing as the memory module? So I should be able to just go buy one and replace it and it should work? I thank you so much for your help!
0 Kudos
Grad Student
177 10 53
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mikki2670, that's right!  I'm sorry, I should have been clearer.  If you can provide your model #, I can see if I can pull an HP part number for you - or you can go to third party memory vendor's websites.  Just make sure that you are matching the propoer memory configuration and speed!

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as
    Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the "thumbs up" icon to give me Kudos!
0 Kudos
mikki2670 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I believe the model # is 15-1010 wm
0 Kudos
Grad Student
177 10 53
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi mikki2670... I'm having problems pulling out that model.  Can you provide the product number?  It is indicated by the "3" below:

tag_serviceNew.jpg

Thanks!

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
mikki2670 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bruce,
Product # J8A22UA#ABA
0 Kudos
Grad Student
177 10 53
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi mikki2670... the memory is still available through HP PartSurfer as part #691740-001, but honestly it is a little pricey - $99.  I can't recomend an alternate source or vendor, but you might try Googling / Binging that part number and seeing what options are available.  You could also check memory manufacturer web sites - some have product guides to allow you to select the product, but if they don't the memory specs are 4GB, 1600MHz, PC3L-12800 DDR3L.  If you go third party, please make sure you're aware of return & restocking fees!

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
mikki2670 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bruce,
I want to thank you so much for taking the time to help me! I appreciate it! I will let you know how I make out!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation