Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion g7
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am working on another computer at the moment, as my pavillion is locked up.  I had a call from supposed Microsoft tech and they wanted money for fixing the hackers on my computer.  I ended up cosing it down on them but too late for me.  They had froze up my computer and now it needs a password that I don't have to open it back up.  Can it be fixed?  How?  Thank you in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Baby

David's suggestion given in Reo's link was a good one. It applies in your Windows 8.1 also, but I suggest you use System Refresh option from Recovery console so that most of the files and settings are preserved after repair install & you'll be starting Windows as new.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

But I see that you used the built in Recovery partition in the HDD to restore to factory settings. You could have gone in for System Refresh initially as a try here too. Anyway, Glad it started working for you!

Thank you for letting us know 🙂

Kind regards

Visruth

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended
Baby

By now , hope you are aware that the call you got supposedly from "Microsoft" is not the real Microsoft, but unscrupulous hackers.

Did you happen to create Recovery discs/USB after you setup your laptop? If so you have the option to do system reset other than which I don't think anything else would work, if you're not able to access the system. You could order recovery USB from HP also if you don't have one.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Whoever it was that sent me the startup password for my computer thank you very much.  It helped me get it loading then I pushed f2 repeatedly for a bit as a friend told me too and it kicked into repair mode, then I was able to do a whole system recovery and got this lap top back on line.  Thank you again!  And yes I realize that I was scamed, my niece was also. She had to put a new hard drive in her computer according to DIT.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended
Baby

David's suggestion given in Reo's link was a good one. It applies in your Windows 8.1 also, but I suggest you use System Refresh option from Recovery console so that most of the files and settings are preserved after repair install & you'll be starting Windows as new.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

But I see that you used the built in Recovery partition in the HDD to restore to factory settings. You could have gone in for System Refresh initially as a try here too. Anyway, Glad it started working for you!

Thank you for letting us know 🙂

Kind regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

I have got my laptop running again without having recovery discs, but I'm also making right now on that laptop recovery discs for it.   Someone on here send the startup password to me and between it and while it was booting up hitting the f2 key repeatedly I got onto automatic repair and such and got the harddrive gone thru to make sure it was okay and all.  Then I did a full system recovery.  Just had to put everything back in, even though I lost all my pictures that weren't backed up.  Thanks for your imput.  Much appreciated.

HP Recommended
Hi:

You're welcome!

Good news that you're creating the recovery media now. I suggest you make a Recovery USB set instead of Discs as they'll be durable and reliable in the long run.

I don't know which start up password worked for you because if it was really a SYSKEY hack you were pushed into in the first place, then none of the passwords we give will work & only the Recovery will get you back to your laptop in working condition.

Visruth
HP Recommended

baby

do u happen to have the password as i have the same problem also

thanks andrew

HP Recommended

does anyone have the pass word iv just been scamed the is a lock and a key and it says enter pass word that i do not kno please help

HP Recommended

do u ahve the pass word im locked out of my laptop please help

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.