Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BE1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My laptop makes a loud ticking sound

Hp proobook 450 g3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a new HP probook 450 g3 from an autorised hp reseller. when i turned it on i noticed iy was making a strange ticking sound so i called the person i had bought my laptop from and told him about the problem he told me to send the laptop to him so i sent it to him when he checked it he said that there was nothing wrong with it he said it was normal that my laptop made a ticking sound  but i still think something is not right in my laptop any help about the problem will be appreciated  

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4162 560 1239
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello BE1,

Hard drive noise is usually a rhythmic "click" .

We can test the hard drive in the BIOS. Tap F2 as you power up to enter UEFI diagnostics and look for the hard drive test. If you do not have UEFI diagnostics (i.e. your laptop came with Windows 7 not Windows 8) then tap F10 and look for a hard drive diagnostic in the old-school BIOS interface. 

The only moving parts of your laptop that may be causing that sound, is the Hard Disk, Fan, and Heat Sink.  Removing the cover to reseat a Hard Disk or Memory,  should not void the warranty, as long as there is no seen damage to the hardware or cover.  You may also consider checking to make sure that there are no loose screws.  

If the noise is indeed abnormal, then the best solution may be to return the device, or contact HP

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

BE1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I opened the laptop's back cover and checked. It was the hdd that was making the noise . And how much loud sound should the hdd make should i be able to here its ticking while sitting in a room where there is already a lot of noise

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4162 560 1239
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello BE1,

If the HDD is making noise, it means that it could fail soon.

Please run the HDD Test by tapping F10 and the start up. Back up the data soon.

Replace if it says HDD failed. 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation