Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

My laptop is a HP Pavilion g6-1220SA and it's nearly 2 yearls old.

This saturday I was editing some video and during playback heard a creaking sound, which was followed by black smoke coming out of the left speaker vent.

I powered down the PC, took the battery off and left it for a while. It had a worrying burnt plastic smell.

Today I took the time to disassemble the laptop (kudos to HP for supplying complete manuals) and it looks to me that the only thing that is not looking OK is the left speaker, which looks burned.

My questions to the forum, before I take the machine to a repair centre are:

1) what causes speakers to burn like this?

2) is it likely that something else is wrong with a laptop and the speaker burning is a symptom rather than the main problem?

photo linked here:

WP_000817.jpg

Finally, I see that the speakers are connected by a pair of read and white cables which are soldered in. If I remove a speaker I have to take them both out. If I do that, will I still get sound from the 3.5mm earphone jack?

thanks!

@NP_Lima

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I replaced the speakers and the situation seemed to have returned to normal.

Later in the day, I heard again the creaking sound from the left speaker (same that I heard before it burned out), again while using Windows Movie Maker. I immediately muted the PC.

I plugged in earphones and found that the noise was there as well. My conclusion is that something was causing the problem before the sound reaches the speakers/earphone. I decided to re-install the sound drivers.

Previously I had the IDT HD sound drivers. I uninstalled them and when the PC came back on the standard Windows 8 sound driver was in use. I have had no problem in the days that followed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

12/09/13 - Jeff reached out to customer

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Jeff from HP contacted asking for personal details and to identify the PC by serial number before doing anything.

I don't have the PC with me at the moment but already ordered the relevant component from an eBay trader (£7, delivered).

Once I find out what happens when switching on the PC with the speaker disconnected from the mainboard, I'll share my findings with the forum.

@NP_Lima

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I replaced the speakers and the situation seemed to have returned to normal.

Later in the day, I heard again the creaking sound from the left speaker (same that I heard before it burned out), again while using Windows Movie Maker. I immediately muted the PC.

I plugged in earphones and found that the noise was there as well. My conclusion is that something was causing the problem before the sound reaches the speakers/earphone. I decided to re-install the sound drivers.

Previously I had the IDT HD sound drivers. I uninstalled them and when the PC came back on the standard Windows 8 sound driver was in use. I have had no problem in the days that followed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.