Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
QQQ2017 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My problem with HP FREEDOS and Windows 10 installation

HP255 G5
FreeDOS

Hi, I have a problem. Recently my desktop pc was broken so I purchased a new laptop pc ( notebook ) HP255 G5 W4M80EA HD 500GB 4GB 15,6" FREEDOS to save money ( I have Windows 10 pro ISO and valid product key ). I am not an expert at all but  I tried to study through various video on YouTube in order to learn how to install Windows OS on this FREEDOS pc and I could succeed in it upto 95% but I made one mistake at the final stage and it brought me to panic. This way I putted myself in a situation I cannot understand anymore with my very superficial knowledge and continued to made further mistakes and now my pc shows the following :

Initial screen after SW ON.pdf    

Namely : 

Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because required file is missing or contains errors. 

File:\Windows\system32\winload.exe 
Error code : 0xc000000f

The following is all what I have done so far causing this kind of problem :

1. USB inserted in PC and switch on
2. Booting priority order setting in Bios selecting USB
3. Switch off and switch on and select USB for booting
4. Windows screen appeared then " Language " " Time & Currency " " Keyboard method " setting, then < Next >
5. Click " Install Now " 
6. The Product Key Activation screen appeared and I clicked " Skip " because it is valid for 1-2 months without it
7. I accepted License terms and clicked <Next >
8. < Upgrade > or < Custom > I selected < Custom > 
9. < Where do you want to install Windows > screen appeared and I selected < Drive 0 Partition 3 > with 450.1GB then clicked < New > icon and I pressed < Apply > 
then this < Drive 0 Partition 3 > obtained " Primary " status
10. After this I don't remember the exact transaction because now I cannot go to the next screen anymore after PC trouble, anyway the installation started as expected and completed.  
11. Here I made the first mistake because I had to remove USB as soon as the installation was completed but Ieft it inside PC as it was because at that time I did not knpw that it was necessary to remove it. For this mistake the same installation screen appeared again and I " panicked " and continued to install it again following the above 5 - 8. 
12. But reaching the stage of the above point 9, when I saw < Driver 0 Patition 3 > it was showing 434 GB ( I don't remember the exact number ) and there was another Partition newly created after the above points 9 &10 and it was containing Windows 10 Pro driver ( I think) with 16 GB  ( I don't remember the exact number ). The < New > icon of < Driver 0 Partition 3 > did not work anymore and I panicked again and made another mistake : I deleted the newly created Partition with 16GB expecting that it could be a solution.
13. I went back again to the above point 3. following all the next steps again. Then at the point 9. I found out that < Drive 0 Partition 3 > 's number became 450.1GB like when it was so originally but with " Primary " status and besides < New > icon could not be pressed anymore as it could be ok before. I was already starting to understand that I was repeatedly making some errors.
14. I repeated many times the same points 3 - 8 but nothing changed ( it is quite obvious for the experts ! ) so I decided to remove USB and when I switched off anmd switched on, I encountered the screen shown by the attached photo and I noticed that this pc must be prepared. 
15. I went to < Repair your computer > option on Windows < Install Now > screen trying < Troubleshoot > 
16. With < Reset this PC > option, going to < Keep my files >, the screen shows " The drive where Windows is installed blocked. Unlock the drive and try again "
17. With < Remove everything >, the screen shows " Unable to reset your PC . A required drive partition is missing " ( because I have already deleted it by mistake ! )
18. With <Advanced options >, I tried everything except < Command Prompt > and < UEFI firmware Settings > but nothing worked for adjusting this situation.

At this stage I gave up completely !!

How can I resolve this problem?  I am thinking the following two options :

A. Keeping this situation, can I reach the stage where I can install Windows 10 on this pc ?

B. Renouncing totally Windows 10 installation in the meanwhile, can I get this pc back to FREEDOS condition and restart the installation following the above points 1 - 10  without forgetting to remove USB this time immediately after the point 10 ?    

I repeat. I am not an expert at all in this field so I would be very grateful if somebody could help me explaining to me in as easy words/phrases as possible about how to proceed to resolve this problem.

Many thanks !! 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
38150 37970 5798 10071
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This should not be so hard. You have a lot of verbiage here and I have to admit I did not read every word, but am I understanding you have only used one USB drive in all your install attempts? Is it maybe possible you have a corrupt install image or a bad usb drive? I bet at this point you are thinking that $150 you saved cost you way more. Seriously the Windows 10 install is designed to be doable by someone with modest tech skills and if it is not working the problem is something other than your technique. 

0 Kudos
QQQ2017 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi all, I could fix the problem by myself after studying several things. So the case closed ! 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation