Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My son and I have the L2000 laptop that came with 32 bit XP and used the Conexant chipset for Audio. I had been using an SB Audigy PCMCIA card so I am not sure when Audio was really lost; however, he noticed it when I upgraded his PC. I scoured various forums looking for 64 bit  Windows 7 drivers for Conexant audio but to no avail. Microsoft and Conexant both said that HP should supply the drivers. By the way HP, the Conexant website says that they do not supply drivers even though they make the chipsets "at the request of the OEM's." Another post said that HP was not going to supply these drivers for Windows 7. The solution from HP for my model and Windows 7 was the "HP Software Advisor" which was 67MB and totaly useless. It appears that this is a very common problem. Anyway, here is what you do:

First you need 2 files which ironically enough come from HP, they are SP35558.exe and SP35558.cva They contain the Conexant drivers for Vista x64. (I subsequently have found the 32 bit drivers and the procedure should be very similar except the files are SP34789.exe and SP34789.cva). Type the following into your browser address bar ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/ About half way down you will find the sub-directory with these files. Just right click each one and save to your desktop.

Double click SP35558.cva and tell Windows to use Notepad to open it. Scroll about half way down to "[Operating Systems]" and after "WV64UL=OEM" insert:
W764HB=OEM
W764HP=OEM
W764PR=OEM
W764UL=OEM

( For 32 bit systems use W732HB=OEM, etc.)

I next went up about 10 lines to "[System information]" and added

SysId3=0x3091
SysName3=HP Pavilion ze2000 series
SysId4=0x3096
SysName4=Compaq presario M2000 series
SysId5=0x3097
SysName5=Compaq Presario M2000 series
SysId6=0x3097
SysName6=HP Special Edition L2000 series
SysId7=0x3093
SysName7=Compaq Presario M2000 series
SysId8=0x3093
SysName8=HP Special Edition L2000 series

I got this information from another cva file on my PC at C;/swsetup/ This is the directory where HP updates default to.

After modding the cva file, I saved it to C;/swsetup/sp35558/

I then executed the SP35558.exe file. It did not work the first time -- I missed a line in my cva file. However, I then manually installed the Conexant drivers as follows and voila I had sound, nice crisp clear sound.

Under Device Manager, right click "Multimedia Audio Device" under "Other" and choose "Update Driver" Then" Browse your PC" and "Choose from a list". Select "Sound, audio and game controllers", then Conexant, then "Have Disk" . Browse to C:/swsetup/sp35558/ and open "cp6308Ba.inf" (64bit remember). Now choose "OK" and ignore any warnings about incompatibility, WHQL, etc. Give it plenty of time, you might think you are in a loop, but you are not. Congratulations, you are done.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I thought that I would recompile my answer and then mark this thread as solved since it was not a post about a problem but rather how I solved a very common problem that might be of benefit to others.

My son and I have the L2000 laptop that came with 32 bit XP and used the Conexant chipset for Audio. I had been using an SB Audigy PCMCIA card so I am not sure when Audio was really lost; however, he noticed it when I upgraded his PC. I scoured various forums looking for 64 bit  Windows 7 drivers for Conexant audio but to no avail. Microsoft and Conexant both said that HP should supply the drivers. By the way HP, the Conexant website says that they do not supply drivers even though they make the chipsets "at the request of the OEM's." Another post said that HP was not going to supply these drivers for Windows 7. The solution from HP for my model and Windows 7 was the "HP Software Advisor" which was 67MB and totaly useless. It appears that this is a very common problem. Anyway, here is what you do:

First you need 2 files which ironically enough come from HP, they are SP35558.exe and SP35558.cva They contain the Conexant drivers for Vista x64. (I subsequently have found the 32 bit drivers and the procedure should be very similar except the files are SP34789.exe and SP34789.cva). Type the following into your browser address bar ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000 About half way down you will find these files. Just right click each one and save to your desktop.(The 32 bit files are in a different subdirectory at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp??????-??????)

Double click SP35558.cva and tell Windows to use Notepad to open it. Scroll about half way down to "[Operating Systems]" and after "WV64UL=OEM" insert:
W764HB=OEM
W764HP=OEM
W764PR=OEM
W764UL=OEM

SysId3=0x3091
SysId4=0x3096
SysId5=0x3097
SysId6=0x3097
SysId7=0x3093
SysId8=0x3093

I got this information from another cva file on my PC at C:/swsetup/   (This is thedefault  directory for HP updates.)

I then executed the SP35558.exe file and voila I had sound, nice crisp clear sound.

The use of the cva file is to streamline the driver install and it is kind of cool if it works. If you cannot find it or you are not successful the first time or you do not want to bother with modding anything, do not worry, the manual install will work for sure.

Run sp35558.exe to extract everything and let it strike out. Then go to Device Manager and update the driver manually as follows:

Under Device Manager, right click "Multimedia Audio Device" under "Other" and choose "Update Driver" Then "Browse your PC" and "Choose from a list". Select "Sound, audio and game controllers", then "Conexant", then "Have Disk". Browse to C:/swsetup/sp35558/ and open "cp6308Ba.inf" (64bit remember). Now choose "OK" and ignore any warnings about incompatibility, WHQL, etc. Give it plenty of time, you might think you are in a loop, but you are not. Congratulations, you are done.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Thanks for this. Many of us are desperate for sound.

I went to the link that you gave, but neither of the files was listed. I was able to get the SP35558.exe file from elsewhere on HP but I cannot get the SP35558.cva.

Can you offer any further suggestions?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

The use of the cva file is to streamline the driver install. If you cannot find it, Run sp35558.exe to extract everything and let it strike out. Then go to Device Manager and update the driver manually as I described in the latter part of my post.

HP Recommended

Also, The files are at the link that I gave. I said to look for the appropriate subdirectory which was sp35501-36000 for the link that I listed. For those that need the whole thing go to ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000 There you will find both sp35558.exe and sp35558.cva

HP Recommended

This worked great for my HP zv6000 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

I thought that I would recompile my answer and then mark this thread as solved since it was not a post about a problem but rather how I solved a very common problem that might be of benefit to others.

My son and I have the L2000 laptop that came with 32 bit XP and used the Conexant chipset for Audio. I had been using an SB Audigy PCMCIA card so I am not sure when Audio was really lost; however, he noticed it when I upgraded his PC. I scoured various forums looking for 64 bit  Windows 7 drivers for Conexant audio but to no avail. Microsoft and Conexant both said that HP should supply the drivers. By the way HP, the Conexant website says that they do not supply drivers even though they make the chipsets "at the request of the OEM's." Another post said that HP was not going to supply these drivers for Windows 7. The solution from HP for my model and Windows 7 was the "HP Software Advisor" which was 67MB and totaly useless. It appears that this is a very common problem. Anyway, here is what you do:

First you need 2 files which ironically enough come from HP, they are SP35558.exe and SP35558.cva They contain the Conexant drivers for Vista x64. (I subsequently have found the 32 bit drivers and the procedure should be very similar except the files are SP34789.exe and SP34789.cva). Type the following into your browser address bar ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000 About half way down you will find these files. Just right click each one and save to your desktop.(The 32 bit files are in a different subdirectory at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp??????-??????)

W764HB=OEM
W764HP=OEM
W764PR=OEM
W764UL=OEM

SysId3=0x3091
SysId4=0x3096
SysId5=0x3097
SysId6=0x3097
SysId7=0x3093
SysId8=0x3093

I got this information from another cva file on my PC at C:/swsetup/   (This is thedefault  directory for HP updates.)

I then executed the SP35558.exe file and voila I had sound, nice crisp clear sound.

The use of the cva file is to streamline the driver install and it is kind of cool if it works. If you cannot find it or you are not successful the first time or you do not want to bother with modding anything, do not worry, the manual install will work for sure.

Run sp35558.exe to extract everything and let it strike out. Then go to Device Manager and update the driver manually as follows:

Under Device Manager, right click "Multimedia Audio Device" under "Other" and choose "Update Driver" Then "Browse your PC" and "Choose from a list". Select "Sound, audio and game controllers", then "Conexant", then "Have Disk". Browse to C:/swsetup/sp35558/ and open "cp6308Ba.inf" (64bit remember). Now choose "OK" and ignore any warnings about incompatibility, WHQL, etc. Give it plenty of time, you might think you are in a loop, but you are not. Congratulations, you are done.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Hi MDJD,

Thanks for sharing this!

BiancaM
HP Support Forums Moderator

HP Recommended

MDJD,

For anyone interested, I used this solution on my (64 bit)  Compaq Presario V2000 after upgrading from windows XP (32 bit)  to Windows Vista x64.  It worked great on this configuration as well.  When I upgrade to Win 7 (x64) I plan to use it again. Thanks for sharing the solution!

HP Recommended

Sometimes, the most difficult problems have simple, or should I say, silly :smileytongue:solutions.

I installed windows 7 ultimate in my 'old' Presario M2000 [?] laptop but the audio never worked. I kept googling and  in desparation  downloaded all sorts of hp audio drivers even with modified cva files. No luck.

My 'old' laptop has Presario M2000 embedded on top right corner. Ah, that was the problem. It is actually not PRESARIO M2000 but PRESARIO M2271TU (I made the silly mistake of NOT looking at the bottom sticker where the model details are given but took it for granted looking al name permanentally embedded above the LCD screen. Why HP - Compaq has done this, is a mystery)

Now just go to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=1828..., select OS as Vista  and in step two choose Driver - Audio and download  sp34885.exe (Released date 2007-03-01 , Version:6.14.10.0535 A, 997.79k)  from

» Conexant AC-Link Audio Driver)

(You can also go to HP support / customer care website, type in your product as M2271TU , choose OS as Vista and) and  download the audio file (SP34885.exe).

Copy the file to the laptop (if you are downloading it from another sysytem) and just run it. The file will be automatically extracted and installed in C:/SWSetup and presto your audio should be working perfectly now in presario. Happy days are here in running Windows 7 WITH audio.

If you need more help cotact bjaypee@gmail.com

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.