cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rgward Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NVMe driver support for HP Studio Zbook G3

HP Studio ZBook G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased two HP Studio ZBook G3 machines. One of them comes with a Samsgung NVMe 512Gb drive and the other with two Toshiba NVMe SSD drives.

I am not seeing the performance I would hope from these drives especially when it comes to latency for writes (an average over 10ms). Are there any drivers for the NVMe controller other than the one that comes with Windows 10?  I've seen a Samsung NVMe controller driver for the 950 Pro but mine is the SM951 and I haven't seen one for Toshiba.

Thank you,

Bob Ward

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
39312 39127 6059 10540
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have a Zbook 15 G3 (Not the Studio but hardware is similar) with a Samsung SM951 and on benchmarking my read speeds are off the charts well up into 4 figures but the write speeds are in the 200s and low 300s. I did some searching around and this appears to be a common issue on all sorts of computers for these drives. I think the issue may well be firmware of the 951 and I am waiting for a new release. HP has no NVME driver that I am aware of. 

0 Kudos
rgward Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  What kind of write latency numbers do you see with your SM951? Also, I have Toshiba NVMe in my other HP laptop but I see a smiliar write latency (but not read) on those drives. Makes me wonder if it is really the drive. I asy this because a tool like iometer flies with almost no latency problems.

Bob Ward

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
39312 39127 6059 10540
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I would also say it must be the laptop if two different drives have the same thing occuring except when I saw my benchmarking scores I googles for slow write speeds on the 951 and found all kinds of similar complaints on different computers. 

I am at work right now and my computer with the 951 is at home so I will post more later this evening. Somewhere I posted some graphics here of my benchmarks which likely include latency (did not pay attention to that) and I will try to find that, too. 

0 Kudos
rgward Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looking forward to your results. These are two different laptops (although same model). Another similarity is that they both use the standard NVMe controller which comes with Win10 (not sure but iometer may bypass that controller).  I found this post which makes me wary of the default controller

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/glenn/beware-of-the-native-microsoft-nvme-driver/

Bob Ward

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
39312 39127 6059 10540
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You may be onto something here. 

My benchmark:

Benchmark.jpg

I do not see an entry for latency. I just ran it again. I did this one maybe a month ago and I have done all updates since then. No significan change in benchmark. 

0 Kudos
rgward Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the info. Try looking at your Performance Monitor output for Avg Disk Sec/Write

Bob Ward

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation