cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Need Help With Wifi Adapter

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I recently had windows 7 os put on my hp Pavillion dv6 again by a friend. Everything seems to work except the wifi driver or network adapter. The diagnostics say the adapter is "experiencing driver or hardware related problems". I plugged it directly into my router with an ethernet cable, and still my pc says the driver isnt working... my buddy mentioned something about needing to reinstall driver software? My driver is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Anyone shed some light on the situation please? (Not really a huge techie.)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Okay... Found the driver, PCI but it says theres no software on it... where and how do I get driver software?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Okay... found the driver software but its compressed. How do I decompress a zip file on a pc with no internet?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
122,932 113,113 18,199 27,774
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Windows 7 has its own built in file unzipper.

Right click on the zip file and select 'Extract All' from the list of options.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Yep, thanks. Looked it up and figured it out. I was able to get the ethernet cable to connect me to the Internet. How do i set up wifi now?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You will need the wireless driver installed.

I don't know what model wireless card your notebook has, so please do the following steps and I will figure that out and post the link to the driver you need for it...

Since there is no wireless driver installed, there should be a device labeled Network Controller in the device manager under an Other Devices category.  The network controller device will have a little ! mark next to it.

So, find the network controller device, click on that and then click on the Details tab.

Now you see a Property drop down list and it is defaulted to Device Description.

Drop down on that list and select the third item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters you see in the window.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Okay... here it is. All the slashes are the opposite way (Im on a mobile device). Theres four codes:

PCI/VEN_1814&DEV_5390&SUBSYS_1636103C&REV_00

PCI/VEN_1814&DEV_5930&SUBSYS_1636103C

PCI/VEN_1814&DEV_5930&CC_028000

PCI/VEN_1814&DEV_5930&CC_0280
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation