cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
28 24 1 4
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Need correct USB Card Reader Driver for HP Envy 15 Gen2 Motherboard.

HP Envy 15 1060ea
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, 

My HP Envy 15 1060ea motherboard failed (CPU Socket Tantalum Capacitor issue). 

I ordered a new Motherboard, not exactly the same board as was in my original Envy 15. 

The New Motherboard has upgraded 2 of USB 3.0 ports and an ATI Mobility Radeon 5830 series GPU. 

The new Motherboard part number details are: 
"HP Envy 15-1000 Intel Laptop Motherboard s989 DASP7DMBCD0 Rev : D Part No: 597597-001"

I have reassembled my HP Envy 15 and I now have a great laptop running again with the new motherboard. 

Everything works apart from the built in SD Card Reader on the motherboard. 
I can see that the Device Manager reports the Realtek USB 2.0 Driver is installed and working correctly. 
There is nothing wrong with the various SD Cards I have inserted in the reader. I have tried them on other Laptop/PC.  
The reader / Windows detects when I insert the SD Card (Audible sound), but no folder opens to show the card content.
Disk Manager does not see the SD Card Reader.

My HP Envy 15 was originally a 1060ea model. 

It has been heavily modded by me now, dont know what I should call it. (New Full HD Screen, 2,5inch SSD, additional internal msata ssd drive, 16GB RAM, and now a new Motherboard. 

The closest I can call the machine is an HP Envy 15 1110ea I guess. There are no USB SD card drivers for it on the support site drivers download pages. 

So has anyone got any ideas as to which Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader should work with the new Motherboard? 

Thanks, 

Colesdav. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 3
28 24 1 4
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here are the Realtek SD Card Drivers I have tried: 

(1). Original HP Envy 1060 ea driver. - Device Manager reports this as working Correctly. 

Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader Driver

6.1.7100.30094 Rev. A 7.5 MB Mar 1, 2016 32-bit or 64-bitDownload 64-bit

HP's Terms of Use Details

Details

This package contains the driver for the Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader in the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. This driver enables the read and write functionality for the card reader.

File name: sp45179.exe

Release details

Released: Sep 25, 2009

Version 6.1.7100.30094 Rev. A

Fix and enhancements

Original Software/Drivers) 

(2). RealTek RTS5158 driver (xp-vista-v6.0.60000.20136.zip) -( Installs in compatability mode and is reported as working correctly)  

(3). Very  Latest SD Card Reader Driver from RealTek Site - (0004-RtsXStor_10.0.370.125.zip). This is reported as Driver unable to start).  

I have also tried letting Windows detect the best driver. I have also tried disable / enable driver.

Perhaps there is something physically wrong with the SD Card reader itself?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
114,353 104,531 16,485 25,311
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, I would say it is a hardware problem with the read mechanism.

The USB drivers you tried should have worked.

You can try this one and see if it makes a difference...

6.3.370.77 Rev.A(12 Mar 2015)

The Realtek USB and PCIe Media Card Reader Drivers enable the integrated media card slot in supported notebook models running a supported operating system. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70001-70500/sp70164.exe

I had the same issue with an old HP nc6400 notebook...Device manager showed card reader just fine and reported working but it would not read any sd card I tried.

I tried the latest Texas Instruments card reader driver available, to no avail.

Had another nc6400 and used the same drivers and the card reader worked just fine.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation