Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Need serious help downgrading HP 655 Notebook PC to Windows 7 from Windows 8 please!

HP Recommended

Hello 🙂

I really need some help downgrading my laptop to Windows 7, if anyone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it!

I contacted HP online chat support several times and they gave me some instructions, but I don't really understand them... I even got my brother to try and help me (he works in IT), but even he didn't understand. I already updated the BIOS too.

Here were the instructions:

"From Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7 Pro, please follow the steps below:

1. To boot from CD/DVD drive, perform the steps mentioned below:
a. Restart the PC.
b. Press the ESC key during POST.
c. Press the F10 key to go to the Computer Setup (Optionally, user may press F10 from the Startup Menu).
d. Go to the Security menu then Secure Boot .
e. Confirm the message by pressing on F10 .
f. Set the second item Secure Boot to Disable
g. Set the first item Legacy Support to On .
h. Set the last item Fast Boot to Disabled , Validate F10 .
i. Go to the Storage menu then Boot Order .
j. Select UEFI Boot Sources and Press F5 to Disable it, Validate F10 .

Note: Make sure the Legacy Boot Sources is enabled and the ATAPI CD/DVD Drive is the first device listed. a. Go to the File menu then select Save Change and Exit . b. Insert the first HP Quick Restore CD. c. Enter the 4-digit code displayed on the screen then press Enter . d. Press F9 to access to the Boot menu then Select ATAPI CD/DVD Drive ."

Then they also said:

"User has to change the Build ID , here are the steps:

Restart the PC.
Press the ESC key during POST.
Press the F10 key and go to Computer Setup (Optionally, user may press F10 from the Startup Menu).
Press ‘Ctrl+A’ to enable the advanced access to the BIOS
Go to the Security menu then System IDs .
In Build ID field insert the right character, to find it edit the 1st CD , the Build ID is located at \HP\MLS\BUILDID.INI copy it + #SABn#DABn.(where 'n'= your country code)
Go to the File menu then Save Change and Exit"

The part I'm stuck on at the moment is step 1d: "Go to the Security menu then Secure Boot." When I go to the Security menu, there's no option to Secure Boot....

Please, if anyone can assist me in this process I would be really thankful! 🙂

Thank you,

Umaymah

p.s. I can't even find my laptop model on the HP support page - what does this mean?? 😞 The product name is 'HP 655 Notebook PC', product number: H4R13ES#ABU, serial number: 5CB2452BYC, and it's currently Windows 8 64-bit.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 1
4 4 0 3
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is not really an answer to your question, but I do have a comment to make that may be useful.

I too have the identical laptop and didn't like Windows 8 (who does, its obviously designed for touch sceen tablets, not a laptop and gives no file handling control whatsoever!). I found a simple free patch, easy findable with a search using the words "Shell, OS", here is an example http://www.classicshell.net/.

Now your Windows 8 will look and feel like Windows 7 except for a few tiny features here and there.. I'm happy enough with it after 3 weeks.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation