Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm increasingly sick of Windows 8, but I haven't found any way of persuading my laptop to boot into Ubuntu without going back into Windows every time I restart, and then holding down Shift when I restart in order to be able to get the boot menu up at all.

It seems like UEFI always takes priority over 'legacy' boot order, UEFI always excludes Linux, and as long as Windows is installed, UEFI kicks in and avoids the boot choice I want to use. But that can't be right. I'm convinced that HP is a competent hardware manufacturer, and it must be possible to dual boot without going through Windows every time. So what am I missing?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please read the info at the link below.  You have to enable legacy mode and disable secure boot in the BIOS for best results.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thanks for that. Unfortunately I've already disabled secure boot and enabled legacy mode. The problem seems to be that 'Legacy' doesn't kick in because 'OS boot Manager' overrides it, if I'm understanding correctly. My System Configuration screen looks like this:

HPcrap.jpg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you have the settings the way you need them and you must be right--the Windows Boot Manager must be overriding everything.

How about the setting in the System Properties Window>Advanced Tab>Startup & Recovery...there is a setting to choose the default operating system to start and a counter to set the delay for you to select which operating system to select on boot.

I guess the UEFI thing is overriding that too?

HP Recommended

I must admit, I hadn't found that before - but Windows offers me only Windows 8 in its drop-down list of OSes there, and the supposed delay to select which OS to use on boot doesn't seem to be happening.

On the bright side, as long as I press Esc at exactly the right time and in the right way when the computer starts, I do get a menu to choose boot options, which didn't seem to work at all when I first tried it. I don't want to hold down a special key in a special way every time I boot just in order to use my preferred operating system, though. 😕

HP Recommended

Oolong...  thanks for the tip on the Escape key. I tried that and it works for me. It appears to be the only thing that works.

HP Recommended
Hi Paul I have HP pavilion 15 laptop . I am get so bowred with windows 8. Therefore I want to dual boot android m with windows. But I was not able to see androidx86 in boot menu after installing in new partion of hard disk. Please help me
HP Recommended

You could circumvent this problem, by setting the "nextboot" with the efibootmgr in Linux, and automate this with the rc-local.service, which is ran directly after the boot of Linux.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.