cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
frenzied
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Need to replace HD, how to xfer O/S to new drive?

Hp G62-355DX Notebook
Windows 7

At first all would freeze when going on to IE.  Couldn't reboot had to power off.  Seemed to do better when going on Net using Chrome but after a while froze again same way.  Then started to notice would freeze up when not on the Net.  Went to Bios did memory test, Run In test and HD test. All said Memory test:passed, SMART check: passed, Short DST: Failed.  Failure ID: RLRUXX-5AE7G5-XD003F-60V003, Product ID: XH0684A#ABA. Called HP to find out what this failure id meant and they said my HD was going out. Looking to purchase new HD.  However notebook didn't come with installation disks, came preloaded.  How do I get my O/S onto new HD?  I have drive D as a recovery drive (almost full), Have Nortons online back up service.  Already transfered to cd my important files and some added programs that didn't come with laptop.  I was also told I could backup my drive "c" onto an external drive I have and then download to new HD and that would work...is it true?  Do I only have to copy drive "c" to external and then copy back to new HD and all will be like it was before?  Need answers asap please.  Currently using desktop downstairs in cold room and different O/S and slower...I hate It!  Want my wireless laptop back!!!!  PLEASE HELP!!!!! 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,897 16,697
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

You'll probably find that Cloning ( copying ) the existing HDD will not be successful if the drive is already failing, however there are two further options available.

1.  You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below - these will reinstall the operating system, all required drivers and nearly all of the original software ( the exception often being trials of MS Office ).  They will also re-create all the original partitions, including the Recovery Partition.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

2.  Another option you could consider is to create your own Windows 7 installation disc.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

You can create a Windows 7 installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your notebook - this is listed as Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ) from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn ( Note: You may want to de-select the additional software offerings during the installation of ImgBurn ) to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  The Windows Image source is Digital River.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit.

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

frenzied
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you David!  Very informative and will definately consider your solutions.  Drive is still working just after several minutes will freeze, but if cloning doesn't work to externals hard drive then will follow your instructions.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,897 16,697
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation