Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Probook 4430s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a ProBook 4430s running Windows 7 64-bit.

A year ago I made the mistake of upgrading to Windows 10. Prior to performing this upgrade I was able to access my 5G wifi connection.

After the upgrade I was no longer able to find this connection. I was only able to find the 2.4g band. I researched the issue and it seemed that I needed to find and install an upgraded wifi driver. After much more research and trying different drivers I was unable to accomplish my desired goal. I finally decided to bag Win10 and go back to Win7.

I reinstalled Win7 64-bit. However, I am still unable to find the 5G band. My next step seems to be to try to recover the laptop to factory settings and see if that fixes the issue.

However, I can't seem to find the factory reset.

Can anyone offer assistance on one of the two following options?

1. Running the factory reset program.

2. Alternatives on finding the right driver or method of turning the 5G wifi band back on.

Thanks much

Doug Harding

[Personal Information Removed]

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Doug_Harding

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

This is a public forum visible for the entire world. The forum is full of users like you, volunteers like me and some HP employees. You do not communicate with HP Support officially here. Please, edit your comment to remove your personal email from your post to avoid issues with fake emails/spammers/etc.

🙂

If you want to return the PC to factory default condition and if you never created your own HP recovery media,  you will have to use original HP recovery media.

In order to use the correct kit, it is very important to find your product number (PN) - here is how >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Write the PN down. After that, please, visit this 3rd party company's website >> http://www.computersurgeons.com/search.aspx?searchterm=4430s

and search for the correct recovery media based on your product number.

After you receive the media, you will need to boot from them (first one). Here are the full instructions >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&as=true&section=ccweb&SFS=tdoc&language...

Follow the instructions.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you face difficulties.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi, Doug:

What model wireless network adapter does your notebook have?

If you don't know, go to the device manager, and click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category.

There you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply Paul.

The WiFi Aadaptor is as follows.

Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.1 b/g/n WiFi Adaptor.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

I followed the instructions you provided. My product number is XU014UT. The Recovery kit that this took me to has this description.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Recovery Kit LA705AV For HP/Compaq Model Number HP ProBook 4430s Notebook PC

The only problem is that when I ordered this machine from HP, I ordered it with the Windows 7 64 bit Professional OS. I know that this is what was delivered because when I downgraded from Windows 10 and I couldn't find the original OS on this machine, I purchased a copy of Windows 7 64 bit professional. I used the product key from the label which is underneath the battery and was able to register that version with Microsoft. In fact the label states that it is Windows 7 Pro OA.

So, what would you suggest I do now? The recovery kit that I found was the only one for a ProBook 4430s. I'm at a bit of a loss on how to proceed.

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Doug

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Doug.

The Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.1 b/g/n WiFi Adapter is a single band (2.4 GHz) wireless card only.

That's why it cant see the 5.0 GHz wireless band.

There isn't any driver that will fix that.  It is a hardware limitation of the wireless chip.

I have attached the specs from Atheros on that model card below.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.