cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Henry_C-wd
1 0 0 2
Message 1 of 29
Flag Post

New HP specter alternative charging cable

HP Recommended
Hp spectre 13-v000 notebook pc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have recently bought the new HP spectre 13, a laptop based primarily on unltimtate portablilty, this PC has far exeeded my expectations and does the job fantasticly however the charger is an anoyingly bulky and heavy to carry around with its AC plug and adapter. This seems to make investing in a thinner PC almost pointless and detracts from the ease of use and versitility of the laptop.

Having reserched alternatives I have seen that some previous spectre models have been locked out from using third party chargers, I was woundering if this newer model also suffers from similar limitations.

If not does anyone know of an HP made USB-C to USB-A chrging cable (idealy) or a USB-C to USB-C charging cable and relvant USB to AC wall plug. If HP do not sell there own chrging cable can someone suggest a compatable cable that can do the job without harming my laptop battery.

I am looking for a charger that is similar to the solution implimented by apple for there ultrra thin macbook, a very small wall plug and a simple USB-C to USB-C cable. 

(USB-C to USB-A would be ideal so I can chrge my laptop from a power bank on the move)

Thank you,

Henry

28 REPLIES 28
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,335 44,112 7,090 12,528
Message 2 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah I gotta add my voice here. I bought a Spectre 13 for myself and have to agree the charger is unnecessarily huge and bulky with a very long and thick and heavy three prong cord running from the brick to the wall that makes the whole thing very clunky to carry around. I also wonder if the Apple model is not an example here. The brick to wall portion of the plug is modular. It clips into the brick a lot like Apple adapters and it seems there could be a two prong foldable connector as an option which would reduce the heft of the whole thing and make it as portable as it should be. 

I do believe right now you cannot use a 3rd party charging cable on the Spectre...has to be the HP brick. 

Richiesmith84
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 3 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Just an idea but have you tried charging through the thunderbolt usb c port.
I have just ordered mine and I am also looking a usb c hubs which also allow you.to charge while using the hub for over things

USB c should allow you.to charge your laptop while.also charging ya phone and using unsure 2 are 3. The apple hub is great as it does this. Why are hp not letting you have one that is from another brand.

What's the pound in the usb c port being there
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did buy the smaller HP 45w USB-C charger and it work fine with the Spectre.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-45W-Smart-Power-Adapter/dp/B017AAHKKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469575171&sr...

Frys had it a few weeks ago for $45 and I bought one and I am using it instead of the OEM. Charges a little slower but worth the reduction in carrying size and weight. Not sure whether that means a 3rd party charger will work or not. 

0 Kudos
Richiesmith84
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 5 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Have you tried the usb c thunderbolt port for charging does this work. I wounder if the apple hub will allow you to connect and charge through the thunderbolt port
0 Kudos
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes all three ports are USB-C (thunderbolt) and all three have the little lightning bolt next them and can take a charge if you plug the charger into them. But, word is, this will only work with an HP device and not a third-party charger. I have not tried it though. 

0 Kudos
Richiesmith84
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 7 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended
If you do try it let me know mine is still on its way. You like the laptop it's self tho is it good. Not seen one in the flesh like.

Also when it does come I will take it into the apple shop and try there charger and see if it works
0 Kudos
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Love the laptop. A couple people here have posted that it runs hot but not mine. I have the i7 version 8 gigs RAM and a 256 PCI-E mSSD. You have to see the boot time to believe it. Instantaneous. I would not use the Apple charger but I guess it cannot hurt (much) to try it. 

0 Kudos
Richiesmith84
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 9 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I mean the apple hub that also charges and allows usb 1/ 2

Has yours not got 512 ssd with the i7. I thought the i5 was 256mb and the i7 was 512 ssd

Thanks for the info
0 Kudos
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
Message 10 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No mine has a 256 SSD. I got one of the first ones, I guess. I don't need a ton of storage on my laptop, use the cloud a lot. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation