cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

New SSD, new OS, How to install

HP Recommended
Envy 15-j100ni

Hi all,

I've recently replaced the 1TB HDD in my Envy 15-j100ni with a 250GB SSD. I used the cloning software from the SSD manufacturer to clone the HDD to the SSD. 

A few days ago my computer was infected with some malware (because of something stupid I did). Long story short I ended up formating the SSD (well, secure erase). I then wanted to do the whole recovery business but it did not want to work.

In the end I removed the all partitions and, after much difficulty, loaded Windows 10 Pro (not activated yet) from a Windows 10 ISO that I had downloaded from Microsoft for my desktop PC which had Windows 7 Ultimate on it.

Now for the questions.

Obviously the activation key embeded in the BIOS does not work for the new OS since the notebook originally had WIndows 8.1 Home Single Language on it. I would have loaded that if I could actually get my hands on the ISO for it, but it was an OEM install. Besides, I wanted a Pro version (I'm a software developer so I was missing some of the functionality not included in the home version).

So,  how do I

a) Upgarde to Windows 10 pro (I do not have the orginal OS nor any recovery media - I can proove that I'm the original owner)

b) update the BIOS with the new activation key

c) Get the whole recovery partition with HP Recovery manager back.

Basically I want the notebook to be the way it was when it left the factory, except with a SSD and Windows 10 Pro. Surely this must be possible?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 9
1,978 1,975 183 586
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

Well the product key to tied up to three companents and HDD is one of them. Yo ucan add new HDD to current one but if you change the primary HDD then you would have to visit a authorized service center to get the new HDD tagged to product key and hten run recovery:

Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Karthik,

Thanks for the response.

Considering that I'm aiming to upgrade from WIndows 8.1 Home to Windows 10 Pro, how does that affect obtaining recovery discs?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
975 963 31 106
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I see two ways, buy the recovery disks, http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-bph07143

This is something I found and doubt it is much use.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-15-j100-notebook-pc-series/5401187/model/746...

(Details -This package provides the Microsoft Windows 8 Recovery Environment(RE) Recovery Manager Installer on supported notebook modelsrunning a supported operating system.

File name: sp63774.exe  Release details Released: Oct 4, 2013 Version 6.00

Fix and enhancements- Fixes an issue where the system boots slower than expected whenthe system is booted to Windows RE or when the HP Recovery Manageris launched on a system running Windows RE.)

which will enable you to put in a "HOME" equivalent for Windows 10.

Alternatively you could go to the MS 'Store' and buy a licence.

DownLoad W10 iso only.png

Licence Key.png

Buying the restore disks will not, IN MY OPINION, get the upgrade to Win 10 Pro, only a home.  But I could be wrong.

If in doubt please ask.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
25,148 25,081 2,302 5,454
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

Unless HP is doing something peculiar with their PCs, the product key in Win10 has NOTHING to do with the hard drive.

I know this because I have replaced hard drives in several Win10 PC, and not once, have I had any problem with the product key or even been forced to reactivate the PCs.

Also, once a PC is activate in Win10, the MS Activation servers save that information.  If you stick in a new drive and restore Win10 to it, it will reactivate automatically -- I know this because I did this with one of my Win10 PCs.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation