Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mb923 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New battery or replace laptop?

HP Pavilion g6-1a50us Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello. I've been trying to repair my mother's PC. She has a 2011 HP Pavillion g6 series PC. For over a month, every time she starts/restarts the computer, it is telling her she has Windows Updates to install and the PC needs to be restarted. Once in a while even when the laptop is closed, you hear the startup jingle on its own, which means, I assume, the PC restarted on its own

I've been doing driver updates in addition to this, and it turns out on the HP website there was a problem with cords that have a label LS15. Surely enough, the cord for this laptop had that label, so I got a free replacement

Upon doing other checks including a battery check, it turns out this battery is very poor (I was able to tell that when I unplugged it at 100%, went to 66% in about 5 minutes, restarted the PC once, restarted it AGain, and then it died)

Anyway, I just went to HP's page and I cannot find any battery replacement for this model PC. I was however able to find it on another web page - http://www.laptopbatteryhq.com/hp-pavilion-g6-1a50us-laptop-battery.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=...

Even if I replace the battery, I don't think that will solve the issue with Windows UPdates re-appearing

What are all of your suggestions? Buy a new laptop (can' really afford that though at this time). Replace the battery? And any idea on how to fix this Microsoft problem?

THank you all

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
44242 3295 13760
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If she ever runs the laptop on battery alone by all means replace it. On the other hand if she always keeps the laptop plugged in there is really no need to replace it. You can even run a laptop with battery completely removed-though this can be a problem in the event the laptop is accidentally removed from power. Even a weak battery can give enough time to reinsert the power cord.

As for the Windows Update issue, I have seen several posts recently about Windows 7 update problems and some express the opinion that it has happened since the free update to Windows 10 expired and may be part of the push to get everyone to move to 10.

You might try the Windows Update troubleshooter at Microsoft to see if it offers any help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
mb923 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Cheryl. She always runs it while plugged in. The issue with that however is that the fan and PC get Very Hot, though I think that mainly due to this bad adapter which shall be replaced soon.

At least I know I don't have to replace a battery

And thank you for pointing out about the Windows Updates. I forgot to mention she has Winows 7 still installed on this machine. I just recently ran a system restore point (which went succesful) but it is still telling me to restart the PC for updates, so no luck there, but I will check that link that you provided and see what happens from there.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
44242 3295 13760
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have never cleaned the vents on her laptop that might help with heat issue. Pick up a can of compressed air, use the tiny straw that comes with it and blow out all of the vents, ports and other openings in the case. Hair,dust,etc can clog the openings and obstruct fresh air intake. I try to remember to clean my laptops every few months.

You can even  remove the battery since she keeps laptop plugged in constantly and that would probably help some with heat too since it heats up while charging.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation