Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
nick27 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 91 of 473
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New dv7-tqe 6100 CTO - Will Not Switch to ATI Graphics (6770M 2GB)

Just adding a new customer perspective to let HP know that as a result of this issue I will now NOT be purchasing a computer from them. 

As a design professional I was looking for a cost effective solution for using CS5, AutoCAD, and Revit on a laptop.  I'll be monitoring this feed for the next few weeks and then going in a different direction, likely never to return to HP as a result of the customer service experience I've seen on display here.

HP this issue deserves at least recognition from one of your employees on this thread, even if its only  "we're working on it".

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
88 2 41
Message 92 of 473
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's painfully obvious from my interactions with HP and everyone else's comments, that HP is ignoring us.   They have yet to make any official statement.   they must think that emulating Steve Job's modus operandi is the thing to do.   Sad.

0 Kudos
jacob521 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 93 of 473
Flag Post
HP Recommended

a victim from malaysia here, HP i hope you make a statment bout this issue.

i happy with my dv6-6108tx, but if continuesly no update for this issue, i might consider to return the laptop for refund.

0 Kudos
wongjasonh Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 94 of 473
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sfawzy wrote:

The Graphics problem is not specific to hp nor to the ati 6770m. this seems to be the case for all ati.amd cards using muxless design. there are dells and lenovos experiencing the same issue. my guess is the the problem is very wide that it may not be totally fixed. the older hp dv6/dv6 6000 series had a mux design so you could manually switch between both cards. so you either return the notebook {Content Removed: no legal discussion permitted}

I believe you, but could you provide links to forums or other websites demonstrating that this is a problem for all ATI/AMD cards? I was looking at some Dells and tried to Google for "[product] cannot switch graphics" and couldn't find anything describing a problems remotely as bad as this thread here. Any help would be appreciated to know it's not just HP. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
168 3 18
Message 95 of 473
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i am not sure if its okay to post links to other forums here but here are the links anyway

lenovo:

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge/ATI-GPU-doesn-t-work-on-E520/td-p/448523

dell:

http://www.ideastorm.com/ideaView?id=087700000008XjiAAE

and

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19381585/19880689.aspx

these are just a fee there are more but don't have the time to re search for them

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Teacher
Teacher
168 3 18
Message 96 of 473
Flag Post
HP Recommended

can any one try the fix in this link and post the results

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=264&threadid=149963&enterthread=y

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
88 2 41
Message 97 of 473
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Doesn't work.

0 Kudos
melhow Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 98 of 473
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just purchased a dv7-6135dx with the i5 processor from a local retailer for $779.00 US. The laptop is at home now, so I can't say for sure, but i think it is affected as well with this issue, but am curious to hear if anyone else has had the problem with the AMD 6490 card installed on a non-quad unit? I have not installed Photoshop yet, but intended to this evening, so I haven't had the opportunity to test out a graphics-heavy program yet.

I did attempt to stream some HD content from online, though, and the buffering and graphics hung up pretty fast. I went into the graphics card setting from a right-click from the home screen and set Chrome to High Performance (thinking that would force the switch from the onboard Intel to the AMD for online HD content) but there was zero improvement to performance following that change.

If this unit is confirmed to be affected, I am going to be extremely upset, as the retailer has a 15% restocking fee, if they even take the thing back, as I chucked the box. I am still within my 14 days since purchase, so hopefully that along with all of the original contents and receipt will suffice. I will still be hit with the 15%, though.  

What really burns me is that I had planned on swearing off HP after my dv2 suffered multiple issues with the integrated NVIDIA processor overheating to the point where it cooked the guts of the laptop, but, this seemed like such a good deal, I thought I'd give it another shot. With the dv2, HP did eventually switch out the motherboard, but only after they FINALLY admitted there was a problem with the chipset, and only after they sent out multiple BIOS updates "fixing" the problem by changing the fan settings to cool the graphics processor to the point where the battery ceased to hold a charge b/c of the unit powering up the fan ALL THE TIME to cool the graphics processor.

0 Kudos
nick27 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 99 of 473
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dave -

Just want to confirm that you're responding to the fix suggested above by SFAwzy?  Didn't work for you?

I'm waiting to see if this issue gets fixed this week.  Need a new laptop before mid-July.  As of right now it doesn't look too good.

N

0 Kudos
kmjoen230 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 100 of 473
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have been looking at the same laptop at my local retailer. It is the dv7-6135dx. I am not a heavy gamer or photoshopper, but I will use the computer for web browsing, things like Vimeo and Youtube, and mostly Word and Excel. I would like to be able to stream to my HDTV via HDMI things from youtube or vimeo. I am clearly not computer savvy so an answer to this question will help me. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation