cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JC1512
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New laptop fan starts to whir loudly all of a sudden

HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new HP laptop in September and eveything has been fine since yesterday. Whilst I was watching a video on YouTube, I noticed a loud whirring noise coming from the fan. I decided the safest thing to do would be to turn off the laptop. I did and when I tried to turn it back on, I got an error message telling me that it was turned off due to overheating, and shut down straight away again.

I looked up my problem and decided to try a solution that suggested removing the battery, draining the power, and restarting. That worked fine and the issue didn't reappear yesterday. 

Just now, the same sudden noise happened again and I decided to leave the laptop on, and it stopped after 15-20 seconds.

The laptop is pretty new so I don't think it's normal to be experiencing fan issues.

How do I solve this?

My product number is F0F90EA#ABU

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 10
4,161 4,159 563 1,274
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New laptop fan starts to whir loudly all of a sudden

Hello JC1512,

Welcome to Forum !!

Its hard to say exactly why its doing that. But  I have seen updating to the Latest BIOS sometimes have fixed these issues.

Use the below link to update the BIOS on your PC:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-17-Notebook-PC-series/10862315/model/11...

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation