Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
evanr Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New memory not recognized in Envy m7 notebook

Envy m7 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I swapped out the OEM 1600Ghz memory modules ( 2 x 8GB) and installed new 2133 memory modules.  I had discussed this with an HP rep prior to undertaking this and was told this would not be a problem.  the BIOS, as well as other diagnostics, still show the original 1600Mhz memory as the installed memory (which I have in the box as I write).  How can I have the new memory recognized???

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
72560 8801 18912
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

What are you trying to do here. Memory has been set at lower MHz because machine supports that MHz.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
evanr Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have replaced the 1600Mhz memory with 2133Mhz memory.  I was informed by your colleagues at HP that the Envy would accept  & run the higher speed memory.  How can I have the memory speed upped to have the machine run it????  Is there some way, BIOS or a utility, to set the speed up to match the installed memory???

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
72560 8801 18912
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Firstly I'm a volunteer and secondly what is your machine ?  Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
evanr Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is an HP ENVY M7, m7-n109dx.

thank you for your attention to this.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
72560 8801 18912
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Some one told something is not right with its specs, with the book. Please check page 2 of the Maintenance and Service Guide on the following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-m7-n100-Notebook-PC-(Touch)/9365082/model/9365240/manual...

Direct link:   http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04696907.pdf

It clearly says:

Two non-accessible/upgradable memory module slots
DDR3L-1600 dual channel support
Support for 16-GB of system RAM in the following configurations:

● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)

● 12288-MB total system memory (8192×1) + (4096×1)

● 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2)

● 4096-MB total system memory (4096×1)

Please note the rule is: machine my accept higher RAM specs but only runs at its supports speed (like running a racing car on a normal regulated road).

Regards.

BH
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37388 5651 9756
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

An HP Rep would never tell someone it is OK to install 3rd party memory faster than the original memory by 2 levels. I would challenge the OP to name the rep or provide details. 

0 Kudos
evanr Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not have either my notes or a case number referencing my conversation with one of your colleagues.  I did call and very carefully ask about this,however.  Thank you for your on-point response.  case closed.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37388 5651 9756
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Of course not. And they are not my colleagues. I don't work for HP. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation