Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP af006ax
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

As the subject states, my advanced tab in Bios is locked/missing. Instead of trying out the methods suggested by Google, I'm asking here for help. I want to change my hardware reserve RAM, which is about 750 MB  out of my 4 gigs installed, by disabling the integrated GPU.

Edit: I found the following post http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03767649 to unlock my bios.

However, Step 4 doesn't work. I had to change the first command a bit as well, but the second one gives me

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP SoftPaq Download Manager > biosconfigutility/nspwd:"new password"
'biosconfigutility' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

My model is Hp af006ax

Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @abitconfused100, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you would like to increase system reserved Video RAM in BIOS.

HP Pc’s uses a customized BIOS setting (Tattooed BIOS) of which some features including overclocking and increasing the VRAM are locked.

This is done in the best interest of safeguarding the PC for the optimal performance and not to cause any extensive component failure.

To conclude, the VRAM on your PC is already shared with a specific value and its locked and cannot be changed.

Hope the information shared will help you. Please share for more.

As you mentioned you are unable to get the advanced option in BIOS.

Please try updating BIOS from this link.

And the link that you have shared is to disable HP protect tools on your PC. i.e (Encryption) 

Which is only included only in commercial PCs.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

No, I want to decrease my hardware reserve ram, not increase it.

I have 4 GBs of ram, but the pc needlessly 'reserves' 750 MBs of it for the IGPU. I want to disable the IGPU so that the reserved ram can be freely utilized.

To disable my IGPU, I need access to the 'advanced' tab of my bios, which is locked. I thought HP protect tools could let me gain access to the advanced tab.

Will I be able to unlock my bios with HP protect tools?

How do I decrease my hardware reserve ram otherwise?

Looking forward to hearing from you

HP Recommended

@abitconfused100

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,
The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I understand you want information on how to unlock BIOS,

HP has locked a few settings on your computer which are being managed by the system configuration as the device is configured to its optimal performance.

There's no way of resetting or changing these locked settings via HP articles or assistance,

You could unlock and make changes at your own discretion using 3rd party tools, however, HP doesn't recommend the same.

I hope you understand.

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Wow, now how do I put this - I want to decrease my hardware reserve ram. I don't want anything to do with the bios, it was a means to an end.

Hardware reserve ram is when a pc 'reserves' a part of your ram for a particular purpose, so you can't use it. So, while I've got 4GBs of ram in my system, I've effectly got 3.4GBs I can effectively use - the remaining is just idle. Check the pic down below.

I should also mention that I've tried every method I found in google - the msconfig > boot tab> advanced method (where you uncheck maximum ram box) and the one where you change values of 'clear page file at shutdown'. None of them work.

Thanks for trying, really hoping to free up my ram ASAP.

hardware reserve.jpg

HP Recommended

@abitconfused100

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

Here's a YouTube video that shows how to reduce RAM usage without getting into BIOS: Click here (Tips and tricks)

This is an alternative to BIOS as there isn't any option available within HP to unlock BIOS as mentioned earlier.

I understand the computer isn't slow, however, this HP Article should help you with the RAM concern you have: Click here

Let me know how that pans out, 

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.