cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ToddB16 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No network adapter shown in device manager

Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just reinstalled Win 7 Pro on my Elitebook 8460p. When I open the device manager, I do not see any network adapter, wireless or otherwise. How can I find my wireless adapter, so that I can install it and if needed download the appropriate drivers?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
105448 95999 14825 22804
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should see a device labeled as a Network Controller under an Other Devices category in the device manager.

The Network Controller will have a little ! mark inside a yellow triangle.

That is the wireless card that needs a driver.

Since there can be more than one model wireless card in that notebook series, I don't know what driver you need to get the card to work but that is easy enough to find out.

Please post the hardware ID for the device you see listed as a Network Controller.

To find the hardware ID, click on the device labeled as a Network Controller.

Then click on the details tab at the top of the network controller window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

0 Kudos
ToddB16 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the hardware ID that you told me how to find:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4238&SUSSYS_11118086&REV_35

This is the top string of characters in the window you mentioned.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
105448 95999 14825 22804
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the wireless network adapter driver you need...

This package contains drivers required to enable functionality of the Intel Wireless LAN adapter on supported notebooks with supported operating systems.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58782.exe

If you are still missing the ethernet (wired network) adapter driver, you need this driver...

This package contains the driver installation package for the Intel 82579LM and 82579V Gigabit Ethernet Controller in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60501-61000/sp60775.exe

0 Kudos
ToddB16 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That worked perfectly. Thanks a ton!  One other question of a very general nature. I recently acquired this HP Elitebook 8460p and had to reinstall Win 7 Pro, and so now I have that laptop booting up, and while it functions, it occurs to me that I may need to install other drivers to take advantage of whatever hardware the 8460p is equipped with. But I don't know even how to tell what it is equipped with and what drivers I may need.

Can you help me know how to learn what other drivers I may need and what they are for?

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
105448 95999 14825 22804
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you see any devices listed under an Other Devices category with little ! marks, those need drivers installed.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation