Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 27 (22,513 Views)
Accepted Solution

No sound on internal speakers in DV6000

I have a DV6-265us laptop running MS Vista SP2.

Recently, my internal Altec Lansing speakers stopped working.  First it was the left speaker, then both.  I thought for sure the speakers just died, so I ordered a replacement on EBay and just got and replaced it yesterday.  BUT, I still don't have any sound.  I can plug in external speakers into the speaker port and they work fine. 

Now here is the strange thing.  The speaker icon on the status bar is working exactly like it did before.  Its not showing any red X or error at all.  I can test the sound and the visual looks like its working, but there's nothing coming out of the internal speakers.  I've gone to Control Panel, Device Manager and there's not red Xs anywhere.  The device driver says its working fine, but I didn't trust it, so I did a HP driver restore and put back the original one that came with the laptop .. .Still nothing.

I've read the troubleshooting articles on the HP Support pages, but nothing has worked so far.  My next step is either to replace the audio board or the power button board.   I'm not sure about the audio board because I don't know how its tied into the speakers AND plugging in external speakers IS working.  It's really a sub board and seems to only have the external ports for the microphone and speakers as well as the infra-red port.  The internal speakers are plugged into the power button board and I thought that is where the problem might be since putting in a new internal speaker didn't seem to work.  The microphone is also plugged into the power button board, but that seems to be working though.

Does anyone know if I'm going down the wrong road with the power button board ?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: No sound on internal speakers in DV6000

Hi all,

Well believe it or not I did get my speakers working again.  A lot of hit and misses to get there, but its working now.  Don't bother with downloading drivers, I tried them all and none of them worked.  Unfortunately, it was a hardware problem, so that means that you'll have to open up your laptop.  If you're not comfortable with that, you might want to get the parts needed and bring them into a computer store (like Micro Center) and see if they can change the parts out for you.

Here's what I did.

-Changed the Altec internal speaker (didn't help)

-Changed the Power Button Board (didn't see a change)

-Changed the Power Button Board and LED board ZIF cables (BINGO)

I'm sure that the speakers were not the problem, since I put the old ones back in and they're working.  From what I can tell, it was the combination of the Power Button Board and the 2 ZIF cables .  I was able to find all of these parts on EBay.  The Power Button Board was about $17 and the 2 ZIF (flat) cables are about $9.  Look for part # 431437-001 and you should be able to find the flat cables and the Power Button Board.  Not sure if this would be the same part# for the other model laptops.  Check the Maintenance and Service Guide for your model. 

If you want to DIY then I suggest you download the Maintenance and Service Guide for the HP Pavillion dv6000 Notebook PC.  You can get this from the HP Customer Care site.  Unfortunately, that was the only help that HP was to me.  Never got any feedback from them about this problem.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

View solution in context
Tutor
Message 2 of 27 (22,283 Views)

I have the same problem with my dv6125se. I can hear sound if I plug in headphones, but nothing through the internal speakers. I tried all the toubleshooting and everything looks good, except no sound. I hope someone has a solution for you (and me as well). I will say that about the time I had the speaker problem, I also started having problems getting the power to turn on. I have to hold down the power buttom for awhile.

Student
Message 3 of 27 (21,434 Views)

The same issue is happening to me since yesterday. I have to hold down the power button to turn it on and the internal speakers are death.

Have you found any solution yet? Please let me know!!!!

Honor Student
Message 4 of 27 (21,380 Views)

I have the same problem on my G71-340US (14 months old, running Windows 7) and the standard troubleshooting options haven't worked for me as well.  I am only able to hear sound on the headphones.  I'm not sure when it started - within the last month.  I only noticed it because I had my headphones plugged in for weeks, using them, and when I unplugged them there was no sound from the internal Altec Lansing speakers.

rkk Top Student
Top Student
Message 5 of 27 (21,311 Views)

I have the same problem that started in the last 2 weeks.  Running windows XP.  I've tried downloading and reinstalling drivers per the hp website and now have error message that says new hardware installed but cannot find the driver.  Very disappointed with HP support (non-existent).  My search showed that many are having this problem with no support of solution found.   Even if HP doesn't know the answer it would be helpful if they showed a recognition or awareness of the issue.

I'm looking at buying new laptop because the cost to diagnose and fix is not worth the investment on a 5 year old machine.  Between this and the battery problems this is probably my first and last HP.

Honor Student
Message 6 of 27 (21,112 Views)

[ Edited ]

Tutor
Message 7 of 27 (21,046 Views)

Hi all,

Well believe it or not I did get my speakers working again.  A lot of hit and misses to get there, but its working now.  Don't bother with downloading drivers, I tried them all and none of them worked.  Unfortunately, it was a hardware problem, so that means that you'll have to open up your laptop.  If you're not comfortable with that, you might want to get the parts needed and bring them into a computer store (like Micro Center) and see if they can change the parts out for you.

Here's what I did.

-Changed the Altec internal speaker (didn't help)

-Changed the Power Button Board (didn't see a change)

-Changed the Power Button Board and LED board ZIF cables (BINGO)

I'm sure that the speakers were not the problem, since I put the old ones back in and they're working.  From what I can tell, it was the combination of the Power Button Board and the 2 ZIF cables .  I was able to find all of these parts on EBay.  The Power Button Board was about $17 and the 2 ZIF (flat) cables are about $9.  Look for part # 431437-001 and you should be able to find the flat cables and the Power Button Board.  Not sure if this would be the same part# for the other model laptops.  Check the Maintenance and Service Guide for your model. 

If you want to DIY then I suggest you download the Maintenance and Service Guide for the HP Pavillion dv6000 Notebook PC.  You can get this from the HP Customer Care site.  Unfortunately, that was the only help that HP was to me.  Never got any feedback from them about this problem.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Honor Student
Message 8 of 27 (20,762 Views)

Thanks for great info. I also tried drivers etc. and no help at all. Someone did mention that exercising the headset receptacle a number of times restored their sound. If that does'nt work, I'll order the parts and give that a go.

This has been nuts; one day it's ok, then it's not...no more HP for me!

Honor Student
Message 9 of 27 (20,677 Views)

Still have no internal sound, just the headset works. Disassembled the L/T somewhat, and now only get QucikPlay after starting up and cant get rid of it.

If I click on the "Windows" icon on the QuickPlay sceen, the L/T goes into hibernation. To wake the L/T up again, I have to run my fingers across the speaker screen and all to blue lights come on and it starts up and goes right back to the QuickPlay home screen.

Tried booting with an HP recovery disk, but the disk files show up in the player list on QuickPlay.

What is going on?

HWH 

Honor Student
Message 10 of 27 (20,374 Views)

Give up if you aren't under warranty!  I did after trying everything and being very frustrated. I could only get sound through headphones.  Too much trouble to open it up, etc.  

My solution - I bought a USB Omnitech speaker - looks like a yo yo.  Small, portable, good sound.  Cost about $9 at Staples.  Problem solved.  Easy fix, in my case, to a problem that befuddled me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation