Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Florian1 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook not starting with second SSD - RAID-Problems - OS on mSata SSD

HP Envy 15-j001sg
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all!

I have the following troubles with my HP Envy 15-j001sg Notebook:

There are two disks installed: a 500GB mSATA SSD which the OS should be on it and a 250GB SATA SSD for data.

A few days ago i did a BIOS-Update (from F.65 to F.68) (sp69886 to sp76843) and since that time nothing works anymore (i will never do this again )! During the BIOS-update an error occured and the old BIOS was restored automatically.

My PC only started with the Message "non-RAID volume". After long research and many tries to fix that nothing worked and i decided to setup a fresh Windows 10 OS (All data is lost, but i thankfully did a backup a week ago!).

I removed my 250GB SATA SSD and installed Windows 10 on the mSATA SSD (without EFI and legacy Support on).
Everything worked fine, so i installed the BIOS-update (F.68).

Finally the 250GB SATA SSD was re-mounted and ever since the Notebook always trys to boot from the empty 250GB SATA SSD! I tried every combination: UEFI installation, create a new RAID with both SSDs, legacy support on/off, ...
There are only 2 things which worked:

• remove the SATA SSD and install Windows 10 on the mSATA
  • install Windows 10 on the SATA (the RAID-menu pops up short and then Windows is starting)

Beause the mSATA SSD has more space and is much faster, i want to install the OS on this drive!

Before the fatal  BIOS-update, i was able to install the OS on the mSATA SSD without problems (though the SATA SSD was connected).

In the past i had similar issues after a BIOS-Update or booting from external medias, but with a not replicable combination of updating to the old BIOS (F.65) (with automatic restoring after failure) and removing/adding the SATA SSD the OS started and no problems occured any more.

I tried to install the old BIOS-Version but the installation-client is unable to install it any more (direct update not possible "this BIOS update is not compatible with this device" and installation via USB not possible because all EFI-files which was created from the client are not bootable and there are no options to boot them from my "System Diagnostic" settings).

Finally my questions:

Why is the Envy not booting from the mSATA SSD, when a SATA SSD is connected? How can i solve this?
Why is there such a strange behavior that it worked former when i install the failing old BIOS update?
How can i install the old BIOS update in my case? (if nothing from above works)

Thank you for your help in advance,
Florian
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES
Florian1 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now i am trying to downgrade the BIOS because i think this BIOS version is the source of my problems.

To have a GUI for the BIOS update i installed "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI" from the support site of my Notebook.

But there are some issues while downgrading:

• Only the newest BIOS version (F.68) can be installed directly on the PC, if i use an other version it says that my PC is not suitable for this version.
  • Creating a bootable USB stick with the update tool (for version F.67 and below) and starting the update with Win+B does not work (the caps lock led blinks twice about every few seconds.
  • Copying the files directly to the USB stick (with the third option of the tool) always ends with the error message "unable to open BIOS signature file" (i tried to copy all files from the "swsetup/..." folder but nothing works...)

Is a Downgrade from the latest version not possible?

And why are the BIOS files from the support site for my HP Envy 15-j001sg removed since today? (now there are not any files available?)
Is there a new version added soon?

In worst case i have to buy a new 500GB SATA SSD and install my OS on this new drive and use my current 500GB mSATA SSD for my data. But this is a very expensive solutions and i try to avoid this, but i want a working Notebook in near future...

Can anyone help me with this problems?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Florian1

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. Here at the Forums, you can find solutions, suggestions and helping hands! If I understand correctly, you are having an issue getting your SSD to be recognized since upgrading your BIOS. 

Please remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues and then try to restart the Notebook again. 

Have you tried a hard reset?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Have you done a BIOS reset?

Follow these steps to remove and reseat memory modules to see if that helps:

1. Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the cover to access the memory.

3. Remove all of the memory modules in the computer.

4. Reinsert all memory modules.

5. Replace the service cover, battery, and power cord.

6. Turn on the computer.

If that does not work, please try to perform a BIOS Recovery manually please follow these steps:

• Turn off the computer.
  • Plug the notebook into power using the power adapter.

While the computer is still off:

• Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold down the Power button on the notebook for one second.
  • Release the Power button and the keys.

By following these steps the BIOS will reach the UEFI partition in order to recover the BIOS to the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive. For information on how to restore the BIOS refer to the HP support document:  Restoring the BIOS

If the key combination does not work, complete the following steps to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup settings:

1. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.

2. Select Load Setup Defaults.

3. Select Save Changes and Exit (pressing F5 and the Enter key will also load the Setup Defaults).

4. Press Esc and then Enter to exit Setup.

Others joining in might have the same issue and if you feel this post has helped you, or could help others, please click the Accept as Solution button.

You can also say thanks or give a virtual high five easily by clicking the Thumbs Up.

Thank you for joining in with your experience!

Let me know how this goes and what the results of the troubleshooting steps provided were. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help! 

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Florian1 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear HP Support,

thank you for your answer!

Yes, my mSATA SSD is not recognized when a SATA SSD is connected and this ist not reversible since a BIOS upgrade.

When the SATA SSD is disconnected, everything works fine!

I did a hard reset, i installed a fresh OS (Win10 and Ubuntu), all external devices were disconnected, BIOS changes are set to factory, but nothing worked ... i am not able to donwgrade the BIOS...

I did remove the memory modules but it did not work...

When i do the BIOS reset (using Win+B) the caps lock LED only blinks two times every few seconds...

Today i called the HP-support and they was not able to help me, but they think that the newest BIOS version does not support the mSATA SSD as OS-drive, because it was not designated to boot from the mSATA SSD.
The only solution they telled me was to reprogram the BIOS ...

So there are only three Options left:

• Buy a 500GB SATA SSD for the OS and use the mSATA SSD for my data (i did this, but the SSD-drive can be returned within the next few days after arriving...)
  • Activate the advanced options on my InsydeH20 (HP default) BIOS and try to set the controller mode to AHCI (i was not able to find any documentations to unlock my advanced options)
  • On every Startup the following Window appears:
    Create Raid Volume - HP Envy 15
    I tried to make a RAID0 for both SSDs, but when i am creating one, the whole size of the RAID is only 465.7GB and when i install a OS on this RAID there is the same Problem, that the BIOS always try to boot from the SATA SSD...

So:

1. Is there a viable way to unlock the advanced options in my F.68 BIOS?
  2. Am i doing something wrong while creating a RAID? How can i perform a RAID0 with the capacity of both SSDs? How can i make the RAID bootable without problems?
  3. If everything fails (and i have to use the new 500GB SATA and install an OS on it), how can i remove or skip the RAID-message while booting?

Thank you for answers in advance!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Florian1

Thank you for responding. The only options available for BIOS are in the downloads section, I don't have any other instructions for unlocking it. I don't have information on creating a raid with your notebook. If you have the original hardware and recovery media, I can show you how to get back to factory configuration, but I don't have the answers you are looking for.

If you find the resolution, please post the solution so that myself and others can absorb the knowledge also. 

Take care :)

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Florian1 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.

I bought a new 500GB SATA SSD and installed the OS on this drive, so everything works fine now, though it was expensive.
Modifyinng the BIOS was to uncertain for me...

Unfortunately the initial problem, that a OS on the mSATA drive is not supportet, could not be solved...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation