cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ChangyUK
Level 3
62 54 3 4
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Notebook shuts down shortly after start-up!

HP Recommended

I have a slight puzzle on my hands. I was working on a DV5-1012EA which had a damaged palm rest/touchpad. I found a replacement and fitted it fine. I had the notebook running fine and decided to run windows update. It all seemed fine but after a restart (which seemed normal after a windows update) it then decided to shut down. I tried a few restarts but no joy.

I then used a recovery disk but it was halfway through the second "loading files" and it shut down.

I ran the system diagnosis test via ESC menu and the memory tested fine, it shutdown half way through the HDD test.

I tried to boot a Linux live disk with no HDD but once again it failed.

I booted into the BIOS but after 3 mins it shutdown again

I have tried separate HDDs and memory but it makes no difference. The system just shuts down.

Could it be a coincidence this occurred after the Windows Update? I have changed the hardware so any conflict caused by the update would not be there.

I can only think it is overheating the CPU and/or GPU and hence it shuts down? Perhaps all the work of dismantling the until to replace the touchpad/palmrest dislodged the heat sink/thermal paste?

Please can someone advise me because I want to get this thing running again and back to my friend?

Thanks in advance

Changy

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Kalt
Level 12
4,535 4,501 384 1,083
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
If you boot into the BIOS and let it sit there (don't run diagnostics) does it still shut down?

If so, I would assume it's overheating or there's some other circuitry problem.
Zhazhens
Level 3
Level 3
33 33 1 3
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it is seem the overheating of CPU. please check

0 Kudos
Zhazhens
Level 3
Level 3
33 33 1 3
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it is seems the overheating, please check

1) the FAN is running? does the cable of FAN connected firmly? Does anything block the FAN? is there dust block the air vent?

2) the heatsink is installed properly? the screws all secured? the thermal pad contact CPU/GPU well and there is silica gel for good contact?

generally there is hint for troubleshooting:

1) boot to dos or BIOS, if issue persist, it is not window issue

2) minimize the system by remove external device such as HDD/ODD, 2nd memory, WLAN card, usb deivce,

3) reseat cable and parts.

I am working for HP but the words represent myself.

0 Kudos
ChangyUK
Author
Level 3
62 54 3 4
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Yes, as I mentioned my original post, I booted into BIOS but it switched off after 3 minutes. That is what made me suspect overheating. It was very quick to shutdown if opening windows but slower with BIOS which requires less CPU work.

I will have to removed the heatsink and check the thermal paste. I will remove it and use new thermal paste just to be sure

Thanks

Changy

0 Kudos
Zhazhens
Level 3
Level 3
33 33 1 3
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The FAN is running? no dust block it? does air flow out in air vent?

before you bought new heatsink, I suggest you check and reinstall heatsink and FAN, just because heatsink and FAN are not easy to fail.

0 Kudos
ChangyUK
Author
Level 3
62 54 3 4
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I explained in my post, everything is running fine. I swapped HDD, RAM etc and there appeared to be no obvious hardware issue. I know it is not an OS issue as I ran a new HDD, a Linux Live Boot CD and even ran it in the BIOS, all resulted in a shutdown.

I am an engineer by trade but have retired due to ill health, I am familiar with trouble shooting on laptops and desktops. I asked about this specific model because I know the DV5 models were known for issues like this where they reboot or stop showing a display. I believe there was a GPU reball issue which resulted a group class action against HP. I know I am too late for that to apply.

I stripped down the unit again and checked the fan and vents. There was a small amount of dust and an even smaller amount of fluff 3mmx3mm which I removed. When I checked the heatsink and the thermal paste (pads used by the look of it) I noticed the CPU had dried up badly (see picture below) so this may explain a possible overheating issue. I used Arctic Silver ArctiClean to remove the old paste and then purify the surfaces. I then applied Tuniq TX-2 to both surfaces and reassembled the heatsink/fan unit. I will now retest the laptop and hope it was an overheating problem which I found in time.

Thanks to all

ChangyCPU.JPG

0 Kudos
Kalt
Level 12
4,535 4,501 384 1,083
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ChangyUK wrote:

As I explained in my post, everything is running fine. I swapped HDD, RAM etc and there appeared to be no obvious hardware issue. I know it is not an OS issue as I ran a new HDD, a Linux Live Boot CD and even ran it in the BIOS, all resulted in a shutdown.

I am an engineer by trade but have retired due to ill health, I am familiar with trouble shooting on laptops and desktops. I asked about this specific model because I know the DV5 models were known for issues like this where they reboot or stop showing a display. I believe there was a GPU reball issue which resulted a group class action against HP. I know I am too late for that to apply.

I stripped down the unit again and checked the fan and vents. There was a small amount of dust and an even smaller amount of fluff 3mmx3mm which I removed. When I checked the heatsink and the thermal paste (pads used by the look of it) I noticed the CPU had dried up badly (see picture below) so this may explain a possible overheating issue. I used Arctic Silver ArctiClean to remove the old paste and then purify the surfaces. I then applied Tuniq TX-2 to both surfaces and reassembled the heatsink/fan unit. I will now retest the laptop and hope it was an overheating problem which I found in time.

Thanks to all

ChangyCPU.JPG

The GPU issue was on an older series of notebooks.  Please let us know how it works out, I'm pulling for you!

0 Kudos
ChangyUK
Author
Level 3
62 54 3 4
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yay!!!!!!!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

I stripped down the notebook as you can see from the picture I attached. The thermal paste had dried and looked pretty inefficient to me. I cleaned it all and replaced it with new thermal paste. I then reassembled it and it all worked just fine.

This is a friend's and I know she is going to be very pleased!

Thanks go to everyone who helped.

Changy

0 Kudos
ChangyUK
Author
Level 3
62 54 3 4
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was a bit premature!

The problem is clearly related to overheating. I ran the laptop for 10 minutes in Windows and yes you've guessed it, the darn thing shut down again. I can only think the heatsink is not doing the job well enough. The fan is turning and it ran fine to start with so perhaps I need a new heatsink unit and thermal coupling!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation