cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
34 23 2 2
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

Solved!

Notebook with black screen

HP Recommended
My Notebook is a Compaq Presario CQ56-112SA. I was trying to instal Ubuntu for dual booting with the existing Windows 7 OS. When I got to the disk partitioning pages I realised I was getting out of my depth. I therefore cancelled the procedure but almost immediately the screen went black. I now find the screen is black whenever I switch on. The LED on the wireless key lights up orange and the caps lock key LED flashes every 3 to 4 seconds. I have tried Hard Resets ( removing battery etc and holding down on/off switch ) with no luck. I would like to get to CMOS battery to try removing that briefly but I think it is difficult to get at. Can anybody please suggest what else I could try to get the Notebook to boot up.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Level 7
1,091 1,085 43 111
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

LEDs blink 3 times Memory Module error not functional

LEDs blink 4 times Graphics Graphics controller not functional

If it is still in warranty I sugguest you to call hp and take it to a technician.

Cause both of these is not easy to fix.

For example, you might have burned your graphics card, or memory is burned.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Click the White thumb if you like the answer.**
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
34 23 2 2
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Derek's , thanks for the inf. However, the LEDs blink continually so I do not know what that indicates. By the way, another thing I have tried is holding down the Windows key and B and releasing both just after pressing the power button.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
1,091 1,085 43 111
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pressing windows key and B only resets bios if only it is broken, it has nothing to due with the problem your are having.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
34 23 2 2
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Because of my lack of knowledge regarding these matters I thought that , as the Notebook a was not booting up, maybe the BiOS was corrupted. I would be very interested to know what steps a repair shop would take to diagnose the problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
1,091 1,085 43 111
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well... if you have any questions go ahead and ask me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
34 23 2 2
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
DerekQ. Could I make one correction to an earlier remark. It is the Caps Lock LED which blinks every 3 to 4 seconds non-stop while the notebook is switched on. The wireless key LED orange light, which indicates there is no wireless connection of course, stays on all the time the notebook is switched on. I suppose my next question is, if, as you say, the signs are not of a broken BIOS, is there anything else I can do that might recover the position other than take the notebook to a repairer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
1,091 1,085 43 111
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I forgot do you hear beeping sound. YOur not in a warranty?

Then, you could try reseating the memory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
34 23 2 2
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Have just tried re-seating the memory modules (two) but still no joy. There are two grunts, then a very brief pause followed by two more grunts when I switch on. The sound is more like a grunt than a bleep. I guess the noise comes from the DVD drive rather than the hard drive but I am guessing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
34 23 2 2
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
P.S It is well out of warranty. I bought the notebook new in February 2011
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation