cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
andwar57 Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Numlock on HP Envy 17 1050EA

Does anyone know how to turn on the num pad on the HP envy 17 1050EA?  There doesn't appear to be a num lock on the key board and the numpad isn't activtated.

0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2317 2315 176 721
Message 2 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The Numpad is active by default on Envy 17, it is not equipped with num lock key...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
0 Kudos
andwar57 Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Not sure what I'm doing wrong then as it isn't typing any numbers.  It's almost like a scroll lock where the 8 moves up a line, the 2 down a line, the 4 left and the 6 right.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
2317 2315 176 721
Message 4 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

OK...So let me understand this, The numpad is behaving like Numlock is turned off and behaving like cursor keys? if correct....I would suggest, testing the numpad, in recovery partition environment...

To do that, during power on tap the esc key, that will give you start up menu, now process press F11 Key, that will take you into the Recovery partition. Now on the Recovery Manager Windows, Click on Run Computer Checkup...now select, Open a Command prompt and click next... Now you will get Command prompt window, now Test it keyboard here....

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
andwar57 Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

ok, it's works in the recovery partition environment but is still not working when windows starts up.  Could there be any windows setting which is causing this?  It's windows 7 home premium.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
2317 2315 176 721
Message 6 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yup, that is what it looks like now...So to start with, I would suggest, disabling all the items from start up and check....

To disable Item from start up...

• Click the Windows "Start" button and type "msconfig" in the search text box. This opens the System Configuration console.
  • Click the "Startup" tab. This gives you a view of all the programs installed as startup options on your computer.
  • Uncheck or clear the check box of the applications no longer want to start during booth
  • Click "Apply" and close the configuration window. A popup window will ask if you want to reboot the computer. Click "Restart" to reboot the computer and save the changes.

Check if that helps resolve the issue....

0 Kudos
andwar57 Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Done that but doesn't seem to have made a difference.  I unchecked all boxes and restarted but still the same.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
2317 2315 176 721
Message 8 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

So just double checking...We uncheck all the box, applied changes, restarted the system and then tested it....if, true...than I think we would need to think about taken the system back to factory settings by doing recovery...

It is kind of strange...I dont know of any application that will do this...

0 Kudos
andwar57 Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

yes, unclicked all boxes in startup and still no joy.  Any idea how I go about resetting to factory settings?  As far as I'm aware I haven't altered any settings as only just got the laptop.

0 Kudos
cernenus Tutor
Tutor
2 2 1 7
Message 10 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

For what it's worth I have the same problem.  Envy17  Windows 7 Ultimate.  very little installed so far software wise (just the latest office and a few utilities) and just noticed this problem a few days back.   have tried restarting, etc   numberpad acts like numlock (if there was one) is 'off' 

makes me wonder if some recent windows update or patch has somehow confused the system into thinking the non-existent numlock key is off

Tempting to do a little digging into WSH or powershell and see if I can script a 'numlock' keypress and see if that makes it act like it's supposed to.  

Sheesh HP would it have killed you to implement a normal numberpad like I have on my 17" Pavillion laptop, and include a numlock key?  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation