cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TuuS
Level 3
22 18 2 9
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Opinions on running windows 10 on high end EliteBooks

HP Recommended
EliteBook 8760w, 8740w, 8710w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a few of the following laptops all running Win7 pro and was debating upgrading to win10 while it's free.

Elitebook 8760w with Dreamcolor and AMD graphics

Elitebook 8740w with WUXGA (LED-WVA) and nVidia graphics

8710w with WUXGA (WVA) and nVidia graphics

Love them all for different reasons, but I'd like to know anyone's experiences with win10 so far. I'm happy with Win7 so if it's going to be a driver nightmare I'll pass, but if they are well supported then I'll probably do it. 

Thanks,

TuuS

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,523 30,430 2,782 6,719
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Personally, I would advise against doing the Upgrade.  I tried to Upgrade two laptops to Win10.  BOTH failed badly.  One failed early enough to revert to Win7 OK.  The other, the HP, got corrupted so bad it was rendered unusable.  I had to restore it from HP Recovery Media to get it back to a working state.

But, if you want to experiement, then please heed two strong suggestions ...

First, do an image backup of each device to an external drive using a tool that will then allow you to restore the original device easily and quickly.  One such tool is Macrium Reflect:

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive in only a few minutes.

Second, do NOT use Windows Update to do the Upgrade; instead, use the Media Creation Tool and select the option to Upgrade this PC:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
TuuS
Author
Level 3
22 18 2 9
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the comments, some of this I was already aware of and I do plan on using the media creation tool rather than updating from windows update.

I'd really like to hear from members who have these models and can give me some first hand opinions on how windows 10 runs on them.

I haven't made any decisions yet, but I'm thinking about upgrading them, then installing win7 again on a separate partition or a different harddrive so I can delay the switch to win10 for a year or two when all the issues are resolved. I have plenty of harddrives so that's not an issue.

I'd also like to know if installing win 10 this way would overwrite the windows boot manager that allows me to boot into operating systems on other partitions. 

0 Kudos
Morse
Level 1
7 4 0 2
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just tried to upgrade my elitebook 8760w (wich AMD FirePro 5950 on board) to windows 10.

It... didn't go flawlessly. While the installation itself was ok, there is some weird issues with ALS (ambient light sensor) which makes the main laptop screen to shut the backlight off. Nobody seems to know anything about it, and given the nature of the error (ALSes are hardly standardised, and are rarely found outside macs) I doubt it'll ever be fixed.

Some little driver issues are also present, JMicron SD card reader and fingerprint sensor to name a few, but they are nothing compared to the ALS problem.

Gyslin
1 1 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bonjour , je possède un hp elite book 8760 w qui date de septembre 2011 avec un cor i7 et la carte grapkique est une nvidia quadro 3000m natif windows 7 pro. Quand je passe à windows 10 ça va bien pendant 1 mois à peu près ensuite arrivent les problèmes de toute sorte alors je ne le conseille pas sur un elite book ça fait 3 fois que je reviens à windows 7, si ça peut aider quelqu'un voilà mon expérience mais moi je fais une image de tout mon système avant alors ça devient plus facile de revenir à 7. aussi je me pose la question la dernière fois que j'ai installé windows 10 ce sont les mises à jour de HP qui m,ont apporté des problèmes . Merci, 

danny-r
Retired
Retired
8,250 7,081 144 478
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Gyslin

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Forum. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To ensure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Forum.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: 惠普个人客户支持论坛
Korean: HP 지식커뮤니티

Thank you for your understanding.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation