Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Optical Drive - Intermittent Issue

HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 p178na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I need help with my HP laptop, here's my issue:

My optical drive is working some of the time, but most of the time it's not recognised by Windows.

In device manager it's shows up as it should when all is well, but when it's not working I have to select the 'show hidden divices' option in device manager to see the drive. In the drive properties it shows the Device Status as: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)"

The drive is always shown in the bios settings, where it is set as the primary boot device, but again most of time it will not try to boot.

The HP diagnostice software has never recognised the device.

I also have a dual boot with Linux where the drive is also not functioning properly.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,713 42,503 6,789 11,851
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would suggest the drive needs to be replaced. They are not expensive at all. Lat one I looked up was about $20 on eBay and it is a very easy replacement procedure. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I've removed the drive today & cleaned the connections as best I can but it's still not working properly.

Searching online for similar problems found issue's where software was at fault, I was hoping it might be the same with mine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,713 42,503 6,789 11,851
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Software is usually going to be an all or nothing proposition. Of course you want to save the money for a new one and are looking at it from that perspective. I guess one way to be sure is to roll back to factory settings and if it works OK after that I was wrong and you are right. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's a strong point you've made about software!

It's had a reset this week after I had frustrations with Windows 10 updates. I did notice the problem though before I did the reset.

The other thing is, I wanted a fresh install of Linux, so during the install the drive failed about 3/4 of the way through.

It's strange that Windows sees it sometimes but the HP diagnostic software never does, & the BIOS settings always see it.

It makes me think that the fault is with the motherboard or one of those major software programms.

I would just rathern know for certain what is wrong before I spend any money, although I see that an external optical drive might be a wise purchase for the future.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation