cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tedzo Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Out of warranty repair

Envy 15t-j100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would have thought there would be others with such an issue...but I couldn't find any answered question about my issue on the forums.

My laptop purchased in dec-2013 has a broken left hinge part. As a result, I cannot open/close the lid without almost fully breaking the hinge. Even with the lid up, its extremely unstable. Needless to say, the laptop is out of commission at the moment.

I am considering getting it repaired since it runs decently enough. Its out of warranty though. I tried to check my options at the HP Support portal and answered a few questions including serial and product# and the website stated that the warranty has expired and I need to pay for phone support. So, I know phone support is not going to fix the hinge issue and I am not sure why I am being asked to pay to just check on my options.

I need to know the cost of the repair and the turnaround time.

And, I opened up the back cover and tried to figure out what is wrong (basically, the mold attached to the base of the laptop that holds the screw connecting the hinge and the base is broken). I want to verify that HP will accept a laptop that was opened by the customer.

Any HP support folks here that can answer my questions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
41,614 40,053 6,271 10,888
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Out of warranty repair

Most of the experts here do not work for HP so we can give unbiased advice. Don't think in terms of having HP repair it. It will be very expensive and take a long time. Where are you located (country)? We can help you locate the needed parts and unless you live in a very rural environment there is a technician out there or even a 15 year old who can replace the needed parts. The screen hinges have seized up is the problem. Unfortunately very common. HP will sometimes extend the warranty and repair such issues but not for a unit as far out of warranty as yours is. The needed parts are not expensive unless the damage has gotten so bad that plastic chassis parts are not useable or the hinge mounting points are stripped and chewed up beyond use. 

A picture of the damage would help assess how much this is going to cost you. 

Post back with any questions. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation