Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy M6 1205DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows update has not worked for months...always getting message could not update, undoing changes...blah, blah, blah...

Now, I am having nothing but trouble with Windows 10, since a overheat shutdown occured.  Running extremely poorly.  Recovery does not work.  Update does not work...I am at my wits end.  I am contemplating a full reset, but keep files.

PC was botn with Windows 7, and then upgraded to 8, 8.1, then 10.  If I reset my PC, will it be reset and still be running 10, or will it revert back to the original 7 it left the factory with?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

According to the product specs for your PC, if you do a factory reset, it will revert to Windows 8.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-m6-1200-notebook-pc-series/5330543/model/5359749/docume...

If you use the reset option in W10, it will reinstall W10.

If the W8 recovery still works, here is how you would factory reset the notebook...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

HP Recommended

Will Windows 10 be a fresh install?  So, perhaps, future OS updates will work properly?  Will not get the error, and the updates backing out?

HP Recommended

Yes, W10 would fresh install.

It's possible the reinstall will fix the bugs.  It's also possible it won't.

I developed a problem with W10 and my HP 8200 Elite CMT business desktop, where the live tiles quit working and some programs would not open for love or money.

So, I decided to clean install W10 from scratch and afterward, everything worked just fine, and has ever since I did that 6 months ago.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.