cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
erniek70
Level 2
8 5 0 5
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

PC Oringanally Windows 7, now Windows 10. PC will restore PC to which OS 7, or 10?

HP Recommended
HP Envy M6 1205DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows update has not worked for months...always getting message could not update, undoing changes...blah, blah, blah...

Now, I am having nothing but trouble with Windows 10, since a overheat shutdown occured.  Running extremely poorly.  Recovery does not work.  Update does not work...I am at my wits end.  I am contemplating a full reset, but keep files.

PC was botn with Windows 7, and then upgraded to 8, 8.1, then 10.  If I reset my PC, will it be reset and still be running 10, or will it revert back to the original 7 it left the factory with?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,135 119,312 19,484 29,776
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

According to the product specs for your PC, if you do a factory reset, it will revert to Windows 8.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-m6-1200-notebook-pc-series/5330543/model/5359749/docume...

If you use the reset option in W10, it will reinstall W10.

If the W8 recovery still works, here is how you would factory reset the notebook...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

0 Kudos
erniek70
Author
Level 2
8 5 0 5
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will Windows 10 be a fresh install?  So, perhaps, future OS updates will work properly?  Will not get the error, and the updates backing out?

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,135 119,312 19,484 29,776
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, W10 would fresh install.

It's possible the reinstall will fix the bugs.  It's also possible it won't.

I developed a problem with W10 and my HP 8200 Elite CMT business desktop, where the live tiles quit working and some programs would not open for love or money.

So, I decided to clean install W10 from scratch and afterward, everything worked just fine, and has ever since I did that 6 months ago.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation