cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Sealoozie
Level 2
23 21 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

PC Shuts down when Battery is at 40%

HP Recommended

As the battery drains to 40% or less, the laptop will shut down completely without warning. How can I get a notification that its about to shut down?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,233 119,410 19,504 29,804
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can change that setting in the power settings as to what actions the computer should take at what level the battery is at in Vindows Vista or Windows 7.

You may also have to calibrate the battery if you recently installed Windows 7.

Here's how to do that.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00817650&prodT...

Paul

0 Kudos
Sealoozie
Author
Level 2
23 21 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paul: thanks so much for the response. As it turns out, I did re-calibrate and think I have the power options set correctly, but am no doubt overlooking something??  Please see these screen shots.

Power Options 1.jpg

Plan settings.jpg

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I haven't forgotten about you. I was waiting for your second picture to clear HP's review, but it still isn't visible yet, so I don't know what you tried to post.

Anyway, there is that blue Change advanced power settings menu, on the picture that is showing. Click on that.

Now, scroll down to the last item (Battery) open that. 

Click on Critcal battery action. That should be set to Hibernate on battery, and Do nothing when plugged in.

Next, click on Low battery level. That should be set to 10%. 

Then click on Critical battery level. That should be set to 5%.

Then click on Low battery notification. That should be set to On.

Then click on Low battery action. That should be set to Do nothing.

Finally, click on Reserve battery level. That should be set to 7%. 

Save your changes.

Hope this helps.

If all those settings are what I have posted above, then I don't know what your issue is.

Paul

0 Kudos
Sealoozie
Author
Level 2
23 21 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paul:

Thanks once more. Most of the settings were close to what you show and I very much appreciate the detail you provided. I did change one to Hibernate.

I will next let it run down and will report back here on the results. What's really odd is that I always received a warning on low battery until a few months back. Not sure what changed .... will probably be one of life's mysteries <g>!

Dan

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're welcome, Dan.

I hope that changing those settings help.

Paul

0 Kudos
Sealoozie
Author
Level 2
23 21 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to report, "No Joy". This time the battery was at 0% when it just shut down without warning.

I'd be happy to try any other ideas to solve this pesky issue?

Dan

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Dan:

I can see your picture now, and I think your problem can be that low battery level action.

You have it set to Sleep and I have it set to do nothing, which is the default.

Another thing you may want to do is select the reset the plan defaults.

Paul

0 Kudos
Sealoozie
Author
Level 2
23 21 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again, Paul. I'll give the default a try (I'd already tried the "nothing" setting). This is really confounding!

Dan

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Dan:

I hope you get it sorted out.

You definitely are having an odd thing happening there...

Paul

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation