cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
box48
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC does not power down

HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

12/13/16 installed all upgrades one at a time. After installation, when I shutdown my pc, the power button light stays on.  I have to disconnect it from power source (either battery or ac cord) in order to complete shutdown.  May have been a coincidense concerning update install.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,387 2,228
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC does not power down

Hi @box48,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your system is not shutting down properly after installing Windows 10. I am happy to help with this.

Under Power Options, go to Choose what the power buttons do   and under the Power and sleep button settings make sure that the When I press the power button down down action is set to " Shut down ".

Also on the same screen under Shutdown settings

Uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended)

Here's a related HP post which has helped other customer's to resolve the issue. Click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  

If they did, that's awesome!  

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
box48
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC does not power down

Yes it helped but intermittently I must hold down on the powert button for about 10 seconds and that will allow it to power down. Thanks 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,387 2,228
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC does not power down

Hi @box48,

Thanks for replying. As I understand you are having issues with the PC not shutting down as normal. Don't worry we have few other steps to help you with.

Let's try these steps here:

Don't press and hold the power button for long, Just press it once and let all the background services to close. Once it's done it should shut down normally.

Next thing, I would suggest is to shut down from the Start button - and check how it goes.

Alternatively, please check the power options

Open Power Options if the issue is not fixed.

- Right Click the Start Menu, select"Power Options".

- Click on "choose when to turn off display".

- Click: "Restore default settings for this plan".

- Click on "Change advanced power settings".

- Look for "Power buttons and lid" on the list and expand it.

- Open Settings, and select Shutdown or Sleep or Shutdown.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation