Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Notebook - 15-ac009nia
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday my laptop died because the battery was low, after it slipped and landed on a few books. When I turned it on it said no disk to boot, insert disk then press enter. My hard disk was externally booted on another laptop and when I turn on my laptop it comes on as normal but when it comes on I can't open anything but my browser and I have no permissions to view documents so I will assume that my profile isn't recognized as an administrator.  Please help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

If you are not careful with your delicate device and drop it, then you can expect that the notebook won't boot or other unexpected behavior.

I suggest using the HP PC Diagnostic UEFI utility to troubleshoot your notebook.

Press the power button and then immediately tap the Esc key. Press the F2 key while in the startup menu to invoke the Diagnostics.

Run the long system test and then go to component tests and test the hard disk.  If all passes you can consider yourself lucky.

Did you create a password reset usb flashdrive or have another account on the notebook with admin privileges?

Use the password reset usb flashdrive or the other account.

If you have a USB Linux live distribution available, now would be the time to use it to copy important data from the notebook's hard disk to an external storage device before the next step.

If you do not have either, then it is time to use the usb recovery  flashdrive to reinstall the operating system.

Neither HP nor HP Experts will help you reset your Windows password. 

The HP Forum administrator wrote a sticky about that.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.