Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Roy- Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Pavilion 11 battery issue

Pavilion 11-n001ed
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

This morning my Pavilion gave me a battery warning. It had worked just fine so far. Yesterday a fully charged battery would have about 5 hours of working time, as of this morning 25 minutes. My initial thought was that some Windows update may have caused the computer to 'read' the battery incorrectly. On looking further I ran into the Battery Savety Recall and Replacement Program.  So now my guess is that HP tried to notify users of the battery problem, I missed that somehow and through some update replacement is forced on the users using some built-in battery diagnosis.

So in order to see if my laptop is one of the infected models, I had to remove the battery (the automatic checking tool gave an error). No easy ordeal! Finally being able to check the status manually I get a notification that: "Your notebook battery is not affected and a replacement is not necessary. You may continue to use your notebook battery. Thank you for your cooperation."

So how then did my battery die overnight? The computer is 2,5 years old and not intensivelly used.

Please advise.

3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
44960 4218 10659
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post

"So how then did my battery die overnight? The computer is 2,5 years old and not intensivelly used."

It did not die overnight.  ;)

2.5 years is a reasonably long service life for a component which only has a one year warranty.

Purchase a guaranteeed compatible battery from an online vendor who provides a one year warranty.

You do not need to purchase a battery directly from HP. 

Perform a Google or other search engine query with your notebook's complete product name and replacement beattery as the keywords to find a replacement battery at a good price.

You can show your appreciation or say thanks for my help by clicking on the Thumbs up .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Roy- Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post

Wouldn't it be more logical if the battery gradually diminished in capacity? The battery worked well enough earlier this week. I find it a bit too coincidental that I see a slightly different startup screen (probably due to some update of Windows or HP) immediately followed by the first battery warning. Besides, I have laptops much older (and cheaper) and used daily which still have decent batteries.

Is it impossible that this is a software issue? 

I see that the batteries are € 100,- plus. I think I rather buy another laptop than spending € 100,- and wait for the next part to break down.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
44960 4218 10659
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post

The decrease in voltage of a LiON battery when no longer in serviceable condition is very rapid. 

You can find a battery that is less expensive than 100 GBP.  The batteries I found at online vendors were about 70 GBP.

https://www.adaptershop.co.uk/original-29wh-hp-pavilion-11n000ed-x360-11n001ed-x360-battery-p-4198.h...

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiBz7PkkfrN...

If the notebook can still be used with the power adapter connected and the battery removed then replacing the battery is a viable option.  

You can show your appreciation or say thanks for my help by clicking on the Thumbs up .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation