cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Pavilion 17-f037cl overheating

HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-f037cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have three Pavilion 17-f037cl and they run too hot. We noticed when one of them got so hot it started turning off by itself after about 15 minutes of use. We checked another one and it's running at 100 degrees Celsius when idle, and up to 115 under load. I ran a CPU stress test using Mersenne and didn't even hear the fan turn on until it got to 120. The fan battled it back down to 117, then it rose to 119 and stayed there. I stopped the test, and the fan dropped the temp to 100, then turned off again.

Here's what I have tried so far:

1. Removing dust. We blew out the vents with compressed air and didn't see anything, so I took it apart and visually inspected the fan. No dust visible on the fan or heat sink, but I blew compressed air over it anyway. No effect.
  2. Upgrading drivers. I upgraded the AMD graphics driver and the BIOS. No effect.
  3. Purchased a cooling mat. Barely made a difference. Just got a regular fan and put it on the vents, and that's keeping it cool enough so that it doesn't restart, but it still running around 105-110 C.
  4. Installed SpeedFan to see if I could use it to increase the fan speed. Speedfan couldn't find the fan, so no effect.
  5. Ran the HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI on Quick Mode. It scanned for about an hour and didn't find anything.

Our other HPs are running at around 50 C.

We did a clean install of Windows when we first got these, so maybe I deleted some important program like HP Coolsense? However, I don't see an option to install Coolsense on the support page.

How do I get the fan to kick in at 60 C instead of 120 C?

Side note: I haven't noticed poor performance resulting from the temperature, other than the one that restarts when it gets too hot, but I assume this can't be good for the laptop.

I don't think replacing the fan would help, as (1) it's not likely that the fans on all three decided to quit at the same time, and (2) The fan works when it actually turns on. The problem is that the computer isn't turning on the fan until it's too late.

Thanks!

Update: If I use AMD Catalyst Control Center to restrict the clock speed to 1100 MHz instead of 2100 MHz, then the Mersenne stress test only gets the temperature up to 109 C. I don't hear the fan kick in at all (though it might be running quietly).

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
803 779 67 162
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried updating the BIOS of the PC?

What is the ambient temperature in the room like?

In most conditions I would expect a PC to run 10-20degrees hotter than its ambient temperature.

From your post, it looks liek the Thermal module of the PC has failed or the FAN sensor has gone faulty.

This would cause the fan to either not spin at all or kick in very late causing the CPU to overheat and shutdown the PC.

If your PC can run at least for 20 minutes, then try to update the BIOS. It may actually fix the issue if the fan still works.

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

See #2; I did upgrade the BIOS already, and it had no effect.

I also tried changing the setting for "Fan Always On" in the BIOS. It was set to "Enabled", so I changed it to "Disabled" to see what would happen. It didn't seem to make any difference if it was set to "Enabled" or "Disabled".

As for the ambient temperature, remember that the units here are Celsius. 100 to 120 degrees Celsius is 210 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. So no, the ambient temperature was not close to 190 degrees Fahrenheit. It was 70 degrees Fahrenheit, or 20 degrees Celsius.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update: I was using Windows 10, and it occurred to me that there might be some problem where the drivers aren't working correctly with Windows 10. I downgraded to Windows 8.1 and now it's running at 45-60 degrees Celsius. I tried all of the Windows 10 drivers available on the website, so apparently HP just doesn't support Windows 10 on the f037cl. In particular, I noticed that there is a Coolsense driver for Windows 8 and not for Windows 10.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation