cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
zHPuser Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion DV7 touchpad behaviour is unpredictable and strange - mouse behaviour

I bought a DV7 last month.

I have 2 problems with the touch pad and it is unusable.

Problem 1:

The pointer moves all over the place and the click cannot be predicted.

It suddently starts moving all around my screen.

I have tried all possible settings with the synaptics software and I have the latest driver  15.1.6.64

When my palm presses the metal sides outside the touch pad, the mouse pointer moves all over the place.

======

Problem 2:

I have always used 2 hands with the mouse pad. I am a right hander.

I use the left hand index finger for my left clicks and the right hand index finger to move the mouse pointer.

Does the clickpad support such usage?

I have used several HP computers for over 5 years now and I loved the old mouse pads and the trackpoint.

===

I contacted a Synaptics tech person and they pointed me to HP support.

I am willing to talk to one of HP's product managers and show you how the mouse is behaving.

The design is pretty bad!

39 REPLIES 39
GoBunny Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 1
Message 2 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I feel your pain, I use both hands too. If you will notice-when you place a finger on the button that is on the same side as the finger on your toucttpad-it will move the cursor.If you use the button opposite of the f.inger on the touchpad-it will not move the cursor. If you remove one finger and use just one-the cursor won't move sliding across eeither button. What is maddening is when you place the cursor with the touchpad and then try to click a button-the cursor jumps somewhere else.

I spent days looking for solutions online,3hours on the phone with HP support and countless hours trying to see if there was a learning curve. I'm convinced this is a very bad design or else it is not designed for my use.. It also has delay in the keyboard. It looks like it didn't respond-hit the key again and it will repeat the action many many times.

Is this a piece of crap, a lemon that needs to go back or something I just don't understand? 

Intern
Intern
24 19 0 9
Message 3 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just wanted to chime in with some co-sufferer sympathy.

I too have tried everything thinkable to resolve this problem with my DV6-3033SA.

Honestly I'm amazed that more people are not complaining about it. For the me this problem

renders the laptop pretty much useless .. it IS that bad. Every few days I check for new

touchpad drivers and every few days I'm disappointed.

What I feel most hurt about is that HP MUST be aware there is a serious issue. How could they

not be aware, yet nothing is done about it. Real head in the sand stuff. After buying HP laptops

exclusively for the last 10 or more years I feel personally hurt and let down by them.

If your use-pattern is such that you are suffering because of this problem, my only advice would

be to sell and replace the laptop, because it might drive you potty.

I'm now using my works Lenovo for just about everything, including typing this, and saving

for a new personal laptop. Do you think I will buy HP again?

Good luck,

Stuart

sharpe68 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 4 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just another Co-sufferer.. Getting all the same feedback here (none). The new touch pad is going to be the end of the HP laptops! I run a consulting business and have been recommending HPs. I guess that is stopping NOW. So sad, they have good products otherwise. Why do they design and implement without testing. I have let about a dozen engineers and programmers try my dv7 and I have got a 100% response that it is the worst mouse touch pad every one of them have ever used!!!! 

bmacstudio Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seriously, this simply can't be something HP released to their customers with confidence.  Certainly they have a solution and will chime in here with an answer.

Right now, I'm sitting here with my new DV7, searching for the touchpad settings which will allow it to recognize when I place two fingers on it.  If that's the system, then they obviously created a way to make it work with ease....We're talking about technolgy here, something that is to be changed in cases of improvement, otherwise left alone.

So, the question is to HP support folks in here.....

How do I adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad to make it usable?  Just to be clear, I find taking three attempts to scroll to be completely unacceptable and unusable.

Thanks for your follow up, and clarifying this issue for all of us!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
24 19 0 9
Message 6 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm not so sure that :-

a)  HP fully tested this touchpad before choosing to release.

b)  Any HP Customer service execs are reading this.

c)  There is any way to make the touch pad use-able.

I made a huge mistake by selling my beloved DV6-1340sa to a friend then rushing

out to buy the new and shiny DV6-3033sa. I've regretted that decision every day since.

I too thought: "Ok that touchpad is new; but hey, this is HP were talking about, they will

have got it right...". Man what a mistake that was.

It just doesn't work. In another post I described the situation where you can define areas where

touch pad contact will be ignored -yet in the control graphic showing the active areas any touch in

the "de-activated" area shown in the graphic! Hang on, if contact out with the defined area is to be

ignored how come the utility can detect that touch? -And the answer is because it just does not

work.

I'm saving to buy another machine and took my DV6-3033sa into work to leyt

a colleage who might have bought it, see it. After about 3 minutes playing with it he gave me

it back saying the touchpad was "pants" and that he would not be buying it. Great.

Have you seen any reviews of the Dv6/DV7 range with this touchpad in the UK press? They

have been slated because of the touchpads and the shocking control they extend to the user.

This is no joke; tomorrow I am planning on picking up a Sony Vaio from PC World and throwing

the freaking DV6-3033sa into the dratted cupboard for good. 

My only advice for sufferers of the HP touchpad issue is to get away from the touchpad as soon

as you can and buy something else; it will drive you potty!

Regards,

Stuart

ICXC Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I purc hased the DV7 Dr Dre.  The mouse pad is the worst one I have EVER used!!!  I have used HP for many many years.  The new one will jump around the screen.  Also, the click buttons are so hard to press.  I cannot use my thumb since you have to press SO HARD to get it to responds.  The older ones had a click button.  Now I have to use 2 hands and click using an index finger and not my thumb.

I know they changed the design because it is a one-piece contruction and easier to repair, replace and no worry about breaking or spilling in the cracks.  But this is rediculous!!!! I called HP and they said they have never heard of this...yeah right??!!  I am returning this great computer because of the mouse.

Also, with a 17" screen the keyboard is larger and the keys are spread apart.  Do you know how hard it is to spread your fingers out to type.  Why can't they leave the keyboard the same as the 15.4"???

ALSO, why would you have Dr. Dre Beats Audio and put the speakers under the front panel?????!!!!! With the laptop on my lap, the sound is muffled.  Why not do what Dell does and put the speakers on the top of the keyboard area???  Duh....

Does HP even test these new devices on current users???  I would love to ask a designer...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!

I will be returning the device...AGAIN.

0 Kudos
InspectorGadget Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 8 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my new DV7. The touchpad does not respond in a linear fashion. Sometimes a little movement results in a lot more motion which means that it is difficult to predict where the cursor will land as you move around. I keep picking the wrong buttons on the screen.

I agree that the buttons are too hard to press. Did they have something else in mind here? What really makes me feel like an idiot is the Compaq that I bought for my daughter in December has the same button stiffness. I can't believe I didn't even check it. I knew that the Compaq was the cheapest computer out there so I didn't expect too much. But when you pay 3 times as much for another computer you expect quality.

I have had a great track record with HP products up to this point but depending on what HP does with this will determine what happens in the future. Is there anybody out there that really is interested in delivering quality?  

jep5555 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 1
Message 9 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought a DV7 as a factory refurbished unit from Tiger Direct.  I kept it for about three weeks trying everything I knew to correct the erratic behaviour of the touchpad.  I downloaded the newest driver from HP as well as the newest BIOS.  Neither helped.  I went to Synaptics and downlaoded an even newer driver than HP had available.  That didn't help either.  I restored the laptop to it's original factory condition and still had issues.  So I RMA'd it with Tiger Direct.  It's is unfortunate because otherwise, this HP machine was a fantastic purchase!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
24 19 0 9
Message 10 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After wrestling with this problem on my DV6-3033SA since November and trying everything I could think of

I had given up on finding a solution. Then to my amazement a guy at work solved it for me!!

You do need to re-install Windows, but after that you are pain free! Here is the procedure:-

1. Back up everything.

2. Get copies of all the relevant drivers etc.

3. Boot from W7 bootable media and perform a format and re-install.

4. Reinstall drivers.

5. Sell the laptop to the guy at work.

6. Buy something else.

By performing these simple steps I cured my "HP New Touchpad Hell" problems completely!

Typing this on my new MBP and no sign of any insane touchpad behaviour so far 😉

Thanks for nothing HP.

See Ya! .. not.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation