cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Gar-Dog
Level 1
12 5 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion dm4-3050us Wifi Off after updating BIOS

I have a Pavilion dm4-3050us that i have been running Windows 8 on for a few months WITHOUT problems.  Today I logged onto the HP site to see if there were any updated drivers.   I had it scan my system and it IDed a few programs and the BIOS.   After I updated the BIOS--which went without a problem or error--- my WiFi does not work.  It is shown as OFF in Windows 8 Network section.  

I dug around and found that a wifi button driver needed updating.... I did that.  Now the WiFi button toggles AIRPLANE Mode but des not affect the WiFI from being turned on.  The light on the key is white---always white---even in Air plane mode (if that matters).

Any ides?  

UPDATE---

I managed to get the Netword adapter to work by flashing the BIOS to the oldest one listed.  

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Level 8
2,472 2,431 76 314
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Gar-Dog,

Do you know what version BIOS update caused the problem?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Gar-Dog
Level 1
12 5 0 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The latest BIOS and the second newest BIOS screwed up the Wifi---  

2013-02-07 , Version:F.0C, 4.75M

F.0B

11-2012

I did not go through all of them--  I next tried the the OLDest on the site and that "fixed" the problem with the WiFi showing up as OFF and not working.

The Oldest was still 1 version newer than my original.

F.06 12-2011 4.75M

Level 8
2,472 2,431 76 314
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information,

Glad you were able to resolve the problem!!!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

0 Kudos
ericopapa
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have the same problem with my wifi
I just downloaded the F.06 12-2011 4.75M Version of the bios and installed it.
After reboot the screen is not on and the pc seem to be in a hang.(nothing comes but it seem to want to boot
Any help?
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,122 2,806 126 324
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I understand that you are having an issue with turning on your computer after completing the BIOS update. I would like to confirm a couple of things with you, so that I can provide specific steps,

1) What is the full model number of your computer?
'Guide to finding your product number'
2) What version of Windows are you currently running?
'Which Windows operating system am I running?'
3) Are any lights blinking or beeping sounds coming from the computer when you turn it on?

Thank you

I worked on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ericopapa
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp dm4 - 3050us . Windows 8 . The power button and network key buttons beeps for two seconds and goes of for 6 seconds. the fan seems to power and the hard disk too seem to run.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,122 2,806 126 324
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ericopapa,

Thank you for the information. I have included the following document, 'Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP)' From this document select the symptom for LEDs glow, fan noise is heard, but display is black or blank, and follow through the steps.

As well if you are able to boot into the BIOS, try running a hardware test. I have included the following document, 'Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)'. Please go through the option for test using HP PC Hardware Diagnostice UEFI.

Please let me know if this works for you, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Diamond0000
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this very same problem, After updating to the most recent version of bios update, after being recommended by HP health check. My wifi was off, followed the instructions above and downgraded to the first version on the website, my laptop wont start. I recieve blinks from the power button, network button and a little flash of red from my fingerprint scanner. How do i go about fixing thing, nothing from the file given helps. Is this a Software Problem or is it a Hardware failure?

This is causing a major Problem why not remove the current bios update since its causing these errors?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,122 2,806 126 324
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Diamond0000,

To confirm have you completed the steps in the document 'Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP)'. If you have not please follow the steps that best describe your issue.

If you are able to load into Windows, you can test for hardware failures. I have included the document 'Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)'. This will show you 3 different ways to test your notebook. If you are able to complete the tests, please let me know the outcome.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation