Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ronyb85 Top Student
Top Student
8 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion dm4 freezes when idle and after sleep mode

Hello, 

I have a new HP Pavilion dm4 laptop which was purchased in the US, but I live in Israel and hence I cannot use the warranty for the laptop to send it to HP for them to fix the problem. (The warranty is only good inside the US).

The problem I got is that the computer keeps freezing at random times so the only option I got to resume using the computer is by pressing down the power-off button until it shuts down completely and then turning it back on. Usually this freezing occurs at times when I leave the laptop for a few seconds or minutes without touching it at all (not moving the mouse and not typing anything). Also it freezes almost every time after it resumes (or tries to resume) from sleep mode (after I close the lid and then re-opening it after a few minutes or more). This problem occurs very frequently and it’s very frustrating.

I tried using HP’s system recovery to restore the computer to its original factory condition but that didn’t solve the problem and the laptop keeps freezing as before.

Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated :)

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES
thatstheticket Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem! I just got this laptop on December 7, so I haven't installed/downloaded anything major on it.

I have set this laptop to never go into sleep mode on its own, but when on the powersaving option, to allow the screen to dim and then turn off until I move the mouse again. If I let the screen stay turned off for more than 30 minutes, when I move the mouse to turn it back on, nothing on the screen reacts to the mouse. I can move the cursor around, but can't click on anything. Ctrl+Alt-Del doesn't work.

I noticed the keyboard still works; I can dim/brighten the screen backlight, and the caps lock can turn on and off, but again, no icons or programs respond to the keyboard. All I can do is hold down the power button until it turns off. I have purchased this laptop for my last year of university, but this purchase is turning out to be a huge disappointment. This is my first experience with an HP laptop.

0 Kudos
happyagain Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my dm4 (Best Buy).

There is a bios update for this problem.

BEWARE - it does not work!

Waste of install time.

Computer freezes when sitting idle for a few minute.

I find that if you do a ctl, alt, del , screen will go black and then you get menu.

Then cancel and it will take about 10 seconds to go live again.

My last HP piece of junk.

Suppot of course blames user.

Check out last series when there was a class action lawsuit for similar junk.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
bdicc Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Had my DM4 for 2 weeks. If I lock the screen, or leave it and it locks itself, then MOST of the time it doesn't allow me to log in again. Just stays in limbo with the windows 7 splash screen showing. Mouse remains active as does the Caps-Lock key.  Have tried leaving it for up to 2 hours to see if it sorts itself out, but nothing.

I've spent many hours trying to resolve this issue as it is massively counter-productive and a potential security risk if I do not lock the screen. Updated all drivers.

Will probably have to roll back onto my Dell.

[unrelated is that the machine will spontaneously BSOD when anyone with a Macbook Pro enables their wifi]

Win 7 Professional

DM4-1160us

4gb RAM

Intel graphics

0 Kudos
BookaZiakina Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thatstheticket

Spoiler
12-14-2010 01:44 PM

I have the same problem! I just got this laptop on December 7, so I haven't installed/downloaded anything major on it.

I have set this laptop to never go into sleep mode on its own, but when on the powersaving option, to allow the screen to dim and then turn off until I move the mouse again. If I let the screen stay turned off for more than 30 minutes, when I move the mouse to turn it back on, nothing on the screen reacts to the mouse. I can move the cursor around, but can't click on anything. Ctrl+Alt-Del doesn't work.

I noticed the keyboard still works; I can dim/brighten the screen backlight, and the caps lock can turn on and off, but again, no icons or programs respond to the keyboard. All I can do is hold down the power button until it turns off. I have purchased this laptop for my last year of university, but this purchase is turning out to be a huge disappointment. This is my first experience with an HP laptop.

exact the same problem with my

ProBook 5310m

Win7 64 Ultimate

0 Kudos
DLHAA Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  It has occured from the 1st day I purchased the laptop in December 2010.  I've installed all the HP updates including the new BIOS without correcting the problem.  I've also installed all the required microsoft updates.

My problem only occurs when trying to revive from a deep sleep mode.  The keyboard starts to wake up the computer, the hard drive spins up, but the screen remains dark except for the cursor which I can move around.  Ctl-alt-del does not work.  The only way to recover is to do a hard power down by pressing and holding the power button until it fully powers down.  Upon restart, the safe startup options are presented by Win7.  I proceed with a normal power up (not safe mode) and the system recovers.... until I walk away and it goes to sleep again... then 20% of the time I need to hard power down again.

If anyone finds a solution please post it.  This is really frustrating.

0 Kudos
spentnickles Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am an IT guy working for a small business.  I've picked up 7 of these laptops and have installed Win 7 Pro so that I could add them to the domain.  All have been successful except for ONE.  The ONE with the problem is doing exactly as you are all describing.  Has anyone found an answer for this - since this post is "dated" at this point?  I'm not interested in doing a "reimage" because I've spent a few hours getting this machine ready for the end-user.  ....looking for a solution here.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm going to give a little more info here:

Computer is a Core i5, Win7 x64 PRO, 4Gb RAM, with Office 2010 H&B, and a few other minor apps (that work fine on all other DM4's in the building).  I have done the HP updates, I have updated the Video driver (which seemed to help some) and have updated the BIOS, but problem persists.  The most obvious freezes are when the user resumes from hibernation/sleep on the machine and attempts to log in.  Computer does NOT BSOD but instead hangs on everything but the mouse - requiring a hard boot of the machine.  Once restarted, the user is typically able to log in.  No event logs reflecting problems that I can tell, no hung applications?  So, HP, what's the deal with this model of laptop?  Seems that more than just a few are having problems?  Can I expect this from the other 6 machines now in my shop?  

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just checking back - still no response.  Does anyone know how to fix this or why it's happening?  Seems to be common:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-locks-up-and-though-m...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/dm4-video-problem-after-wake-up/td-p/491761

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/HP-DM4-1060EA-cannot-update-Intel-HD-video-d...

Video card?  Driver issue?  In all of the posts I've read online - NO ONE seems to have an answer??  Hummmm...  Time to call HP I suppose, run through the level 1 check-list, ask for elevation, explain that I'm an actual IT tech, and that I prefer not to "reimage" the machine.  Anyway....  

0 Kudos
artur Tutor
Tutor
6 1 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello.

I've got the similar problems - random lockups a few minutes after starting computer and after restore from hibernation.

Tried many ways to fix it - nothing helped.

I've sent my notebook to the repair center. Finally motherboard was replaced and now everything is fine.

Will never buy hp computer again.

My laptop was broken from first day I bought it. Repair center is hopeless. I had to send my computer twice with the same failure. They didn't repair my computer for the first time - they replaced hdd and didn't check if this was good solution. They don't test notebooks before sending it back to customer.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation