cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Pavilion dv5 Entertainment - screen

Pavilion dv5 entertainment
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello to HP,

I would like to honestly ask you for an advice - I have got notebook Pavilion dv5 Entertainment from "second hand" for about 5 years, the previous owner sold it to me because of a screen problem (time to time, bright vertical streaks appeared). When the problem started getting to be more frequent, we demounted the notebook together with my brother, we got to the LCD cableway and roll and move it somehow (we realised that this cableway may be sensitive when opening and shuting the notebook so it may cause the problem) and it worked, the streaks appeared pretty seldom since that (we did it about 2 years ago). About 1 years ago I gave my notebook to servis to clean it (I mean they cleaned only the fan, even I asked them to clean all the notebook) so I rather use an external fan to prevent overheating ... that´s all I did with my notebook concerning hardware all the time I have it.. 

Now about the problem itself: About 3 days ago I have been exceptionaly on notebook for a long time without any pause (about 10 hours, I was uploading something) I left the room for about an hour and when I came back I wanted to continue but the notebook didn´t want to "wake up" from the black screen. But I felt like all except of the screen worked.

I switched it "hardly" off, switch it on and, at first, I saw this: the screen is divided into half/half parts, one of them is black, one of them approximately white, I listen all the noises when starting the notebook as normal (fan works, disk, diods shimmer..) but the screen changes itself to absolutely black within a while. So, is it possible that this may be caused by the LCD cableway (but I didn´t move with my notebook, I was away when it happened) or it is more probably another problem? I have read some similar "diagnosis" telling it is because of a "freeze graphic chip set" but there is the one difference - the white/black picture on my screen when the notebook is starting.

The previous state od the notebook before this problem appeared: no warning message of the system. sometimes, when started, it took about half an hour before the notebook worked normally (it was slow) but then it got better..but, about a month ago it started to be better and better and the problem started to exist any more.

Thank you in advance, best regards, 

Anna

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 6
411 411 20 42
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Theres only 2 things which can cause that :

1. Broken LCD cable around hinges.

2. Overheated GPU which is slowly giving up , very common problem on these DV laptops.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you,

So it means I should try to connect another monitor, I believe..

Yesterday, I demounted the laptop, all the cables around the hinges seemed to me to be alright

But I founded my brother had scoured the special fabric protecting the cables and had substituted it by friction tape. I overlooked the rests of the fabric, which are still there, and I mean it is made of some very thin wires?? Well so I hope it is not the friction tape which could cause this problem (even it worked all the time a year before)..like the warmed glue of the friction tape damaged the cables or something like that (even I don´t believe this theory too much, who knows..)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Well it is the LCD cables again!:) (I am glad), I connected another monitor and it works..

Now I would be absolutely happy if I finaly found what exactly causes this (streaks, white screen,...) wrong position, contact...? 

Thanks, this forum helped, and I am very happy it is nothing from the main devices, I am nice and careful to my laptop:)

Anna

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation