cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SimoneDS
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Pavilion dv6-1304el Additional Hard Disk and Boot

HP Recommended

Hi to all,

I've replaced primary HD with an SSD, and at the same time I've added a second HD in the CD bay.

The problem is that the bios try to start-up system from the second hard drive (in cd bay) but this one don't has installed the OS and the notebook don't start.

If I remove the second HD, PC start-up automatically.

I've tryed to reconfigure Bios boot order, but I don't have result.

I can start-up PC typing F9 and choosing "Internal Hard Disk" from the list; at this time the system start without any problem.

How can configure Notebook to start-up automatically?

Thank you!
Simone

5 REPLIES 5
Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
45,545 44,594 7,323 13,063
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you disable booting from the CD drive in the BIOS (F10)?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
SimoneDS
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've tried, but I don't have result.

I've tried to check disk with diskpart and list lisk found two hard disk, the first one tagged with 0 is the HDD, the second one tagged with 1 is the SSD. could be this the problem?

is possible to change the disk number without data loss? How?

Thanks

Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
45,545 44,594 7,323 13,063
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No the disk number is hard wired based on which SATA port the drive is connected to. I am a bit surprised that the BIOS seems to prefer the drive attached to the CD drive SATA port. Have you tried reinstalling the optical drive and then disabling CD boot, then put the hdd in the adapter back in? I do not mean just put the CD lower in the order, there is usually a keystoke you can do which disables booting from a specific device or class of devices in the BIOS. 

SimoneDS
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Dean,

I've disabled boot from CD in bios, but the system doesn't start...

I'll try to reinstalling the optical drive in the cd slot and to re-disable boot from CD this evening and I'll reply after this.

SimoneDS
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reinstall optical drive didn't resolve the problem.

I've resolved moving SSD in CD bay and HDD in HD primary slot.

the system start without problem from SDD.

Thanks to all

Bye

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation