Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jhatmhat Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion dv6-7135nr Advanced Bios access and SSD drive

dv6-7135nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a dv6-7135nr laptop and the hard drive failed in the system. I purchased a Samsung SSD as a replace. The laptop does not see the new replacement drive and the Bios is locked down so tight you can change any advanced settings. I am sitting here with an un-operational laptop. Please suggest a fix or the key combination to change the bios settings. I need this laptop functional!!!! Jerry Crazy that the bios is locked down! Very frustrating!!!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
37390 5652 9758
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

By locked down you seem to think there is another whole layer of options available if you can just get some kind of access. Not so. The BIOS are just simplified for consumer laptops. What do you mean the SSD is not visible? What operating system are you trying to install and how? The storage controller is set to RAID and a Windows 7 disk, for example, will not see a hard drive until you introduce the right F6 driver to enable the storage controller. 

0 Kudos
jhatmhat Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The bios doesn't see the ssd when installed. I can never get to the f6 prompt because the hd is never recognized by the motherboard. I thought the ssd was bad and exchange it with the same result. If I install the original hd its detected. There is docs out there that state you might have to tweak the bios in order for the laptop to see the drive. Unfortunately this HP has limited settings. There are vidoes out there that show keystrokes to unlock more menus in the hp bios. I work in health care and I have seen these additional settings using hp usdt's. These extra layers do exists!
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4389 444 732
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jhatmhat wrote:
The bios doesn't see the ssd when installed. I can never get to the f6 prompt because the hd is never recognized by the motherboard. I thought the ssd was bad and exchange it with the same result. If I install the original hd its detected. There is docs out there that state you might have to tweak the bios in order for the laptop to see the drive. Unfortunately this HP has limited settings. There are vidoes out there that show keystrokes to unlock more menus in the hp bios. I work in health care and I have seen these additional settings using hp usdt's. These extra layers do exists!

I don't think any advanced options in the BIOS would help you in this case. I have got a similar laptop and my Samsung PRO 256GB was recognized immediately. I have also used a Corsair GT drive and a Sandisk drive on the same laptop. All worked well out of the box. I would try to downgrade or upgrade BIOS and also Load Optimized Defaults might help too.

Dv6-7000 Debian Stretch
HP ProBook 640 G1 Hackintosh Mojave 10.14.2
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37390 5652 9758
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe firmware of the SSD. I know of many who have had success using a Samsung Evo 840 or 850 SSD in a dv6-7000 series. You do not give us the Samsung model but there have not been any reports I know about saying Samsung SSDs have any compatibility issue with that series of HP laptops. Crucial SSDs, yes. Samsung no. 

0 Kudos
Johnypedia Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi.

I have just installed an SSD Samsung 850 EVO, and it is not recognized my be Pavilion dv6. Do I need to upgrade my BIOS; actually InsydeH20 release 3.5

Many thanks.

Regards

0 Kudos
finnster510 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After any drive replacement, it's good practice to go into the BIOS, and select the option Load BIOS Defaults, then save and exit.  Then power off and then the BIOS should detect the newly replaced SSD drive. 

FWIW, I encountered the dreaded Error 301 SMART Error after I replaced the Seagate 320GB Medalist Thin HDD with a PNY 240GB SSD.  My laptop would keep stopping at the BIOS POST Screen and report the SMART Error 301 and the options were hit F2 System Diagnostics (and doing this would fail the drive on the new SSD Drive), or hit ENTER to continue.  When I hit ENTER the OS would load (running Ubuntu 16.04) but that error on first Power ON or every reboot continued. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation