Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
apu_13 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion dv6 Black screen AFTER sleep mode

So I have a Pavilion dv6 and if I leave my laptop for about a half hour it goes to a sleep mode. When I come back and try to wake it the fan will start going and sounds like it is about to turn on and the screen will sometimes flash but won't turn on. So at first I decided that I could couteract it by using a screen saver; screen saver doesn't activate at all.

Then I tried using a HDMI cord, which works if it the sceen flashes.

I have tried to put my password in and it did seem to log in because I have the touchepad disabled so it has an orange light on when I log in.

Once I closed it after it wouldn't wake up and left it there for an hour came back and it was really hot with the fan on.

Also My Pavilion dv6 has a couple of the premium hardware like the graphics card and processor, though I never have games opened or anything when I goes to sleep. I dont think it is a heating problem because I have it lifted to prevent that.

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2974 2961 217 350
Message 2 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try update the graphics driver, the driver maybe not handling the power state change properly.

===================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *
** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
markbc Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI

I have the same problem; and my DV6 notebook is just two weeks old. It has done it twice now; seems if I leve the notebook turned on and come back to it after a few hours there is a back screen. I cannot do anything about it other than hold the power button down for a while. Once it turns off I can reboot with no problems.  I have searched net; HEAPS of people talking about different experiences of the black screen. Not sure what to do; any suggstions before I do my block??

Mark

0 Kudos
albie46 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Well my Dv6 laptop is a week old and I have the same problem and I tried to take it back to day under a 14 day right of return warranty clause.   They were reluctant, and I was sent home to perform a recovery disk thing on the lap top, but I have read other simiilar complaints tonight online, and even doing this did not fix the problem. 

I just want to know what the deal is...

0 Kudos
Mindokas Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and I tried to bring back. So I told them when I close the lid and about few hours open the lid the laptop turns on the fan and the lights is working but nothing on screen. So the first what they sayed it cold be a virus (yeah right) so they back up my laptop to original factory settings. When I got the laptop the same day it happened again... so I brought it back again so they tooked and send it for warranty. after a week I still did not got any news from the shop that I boght the Hp laptop. So I decided to call in and ask, When I called them they sayed that it did not came yet because they sending away to hp support . The guy told that he will call them and ask whats going on. After 10 minutes the guy calls and says that the hp support send my laptop to wrong shop and that I have to wait another week to get my laptop. What I think that the HP is sh*t and unprofessional that they even cannot send item to correct location...

So after other week I finaly got call that my laptop is in and I can collect, I thought it will be fixed. When they gave my laptop they said that nothing foultly was found and they just did diagnistics and thats all. The told that it is not "laptops problem" it is windows 7. So I wnet home and I did full windows update and after like two days I got the same problem Black fu*king screen....

0 Kudos
Toyvo Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having this problem as well.  Did the driver updates.  Same issue.  Any other ideas that may work?

0 Kudos
optimumuser Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, me too. I've tried resetting the power options, as described in this post, but to no avail: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Black-screen-after-sleep-mode/m-p/584225...

What are your video drivers set to? Mine says, Intel, 2010-11-04, 8.15.10.2238 for the adapter and a generic PnP monitor.

0 Kudos
DiceGal Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Were you ever able to get this resolved?  I bought two identical laptops (Pavilion DV6) one has the problem and the other does not.  It's driving me NUTS!!!  If you were able to get it fixed, I'd love to know what you did so that I can fix mine too.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
clarencejosephb Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mine is same problem as yours. I switched to ubuntu and still i have black screen after all.

0 Kudos
esku Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any more ideas on the HP?

I have a pavilion dv6, I replaced the HDD with an SSD as soon as I bought it and so downloaded all the latest drivers etc about 2 months ago, all was working well however a couple of weeks ago I started to get the black laptop screen when coming back from sleep, the conected HDMI monitor was still working OK.

I turned off sleeping on idle but still had "turn monitor off" after an hour or so, when coming back to the machine after an hour moving the mouse, initially the machine responds and the monitor comes back on but then immediately goes into sleep, then when bringing it back out of sleep the laptop screen is black.

Additionally when my laptop screen is black the mousepad light is off, but the machine is on as I have the HDMI connected monitor on and working.

I noticed a few times after getting the black screen that after waiting a few minutes the laptop monitor comes on and the mousepad light comes on, and then it's OK again.

Initially I thought it may have been a Windows update that had caused the problem however after rolling back to an earlier restore point the problem was still the same.

Sometimes now when my machine boots I get the initial windows loading screen on the laptop monitor but when it loads up the login screen the laptop screen and mousepad light goes off, the connected HDMI monitor remains on and the machine is working. This must indicate a driver - windows interaction rather than hardware problem?

I am runnning Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation