Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My laptop is a little over a year old.  A couple of months ago I bought my first Blu-ray movie (copyright 2009) and it played fine with HP MediaSmart.  A few days ago I bought my second Blu-ray movie (copyright 2011/2012) and it won't play at all.  The "Loading disc, ready to play" messages just keep looping back and forth.  Installed a BIOS update, but made no difference re this problem.  There are two Blu-ray discs and one DVD in the box.  All are pristine, clean, no scratches.  Only the DVD plays.  Checked HP Support for driver updates, but couldn't make sense of the descriptions.  I bought the movie at the Fred Meyer store in Burlington, WA on 3 April 2012.  The 2009 Blu-ray still plays fine.

Which driver do I need?  Or am I missing something else?  Thanks.

Frank

Pavilion dv7 - 4270, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit; HP MediaSmart ver. 4.2.1.4521

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Use Power DVD10, it's free for HP owners.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54746.exe

Save the file to the desk top and install it from there, not from a temporary folder.

After the installation, restart the laptop and eject the DVD/Blu-ray drive drawer with the button on the drawer itself.

Insert your movie and let Power DVD10 load it automatically with out opening DVD10.

What is the name of the movie that won't play ?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Use Power DVD10, it's free for HP owners.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54746.exe

Save the file to the desk top and install it from there, not from a temporary folder.

After the installation, restart the laptop and eject the DVD/Blu-ray drive drawer with the button on the drawer itself.

Insert your movie and let Power DVD10 load it automatically with out opening DVD10.

What is the name of the movie that won't play ?

HP Recommended

Got back online today and tried your solution.  It works!  Very cool.  The movie is Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and now I have an excuse to watch it again.  Fine movie.  Read Larsson's trilogy not long before the movie came out and of course the book is meatier, but the movie is about as faithful to the book as it could at a reasonable length.  Looking forward to the sequels.

Thank you.

Frank

HP Recommended

You are talking about the new American remake with Daniel Craig, I think I may rent that for this coming

week-end.

:generic:

I have seen all the foreign versions, but hate dubbed movies, so I am looking forward to the American one.

Anyways, there are newer versions of Media Smart DVD, that probably would have worked, but the software is so piss poorly written I stopped recommending it.

HP Recommended

I love Media Center on my Vista desktop.  When I got the dv7 and saw MediaSmart (Win 7) for the first time I almost uninstalled it.  Seems way too non-intuitive.  Didn't learn until later that Media Center apparently doesn't do Blu-ray, and I'm sold on Blu-ray.  So there ya go.  Reckon I'll get used to MediaSmart.

I read a handful of reviews on the new vs the older Girl ... Tattoo movies, and the preferences seemed split.  Haven't seen the older version, but I think the somber lighting and color of this production definitely suit the story.

Thanks again for your help.

Frank

HP Recommended

I'm having a similar issue, only I can't install sp54746.
Win7 64

Error Number: 0x80040707

Description: DLL function call crashed: VerCheck.CheckVersion6

Setup will now terminate.

I'm running AVG

I've tried saving the fille to various folders before running, Downloads, Desktop, etc.

I've run CCleaner first

I've tried running as Administrator

-Unblocking the program

-Reinstalling using recommended settings

Tried updating my BIOS & Chipset (not that I thought they were the problem, but I'm desperate)

Nothing seems to work.

HP Recommended

I found another solution that is less evasive the uninstalling AVG. (I still don't like AVG though)

In the instructions below when I have you use Win RAR to unpack the install file, look or this file. VerCheck.dll

When you open that folder you will also find the VerCheck.dll It's the last one.

Right click and simply delete this file before installing it. I still want you to run CCleaners registry cleaner as many times as necessary though before you install it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your problem is AVG, I am not familiar with it and I don't use it because of the problems you're having right now.

I believe you have to go into it's "resident protection" and find the dll file(s) is blocking and allow them through.

It would be easier to go to AVG and if there is a special tool there, to uninstall it and then run the Power DVD10 install file.

If you uninstall it run CCleaners registry cleaner afterwards as many times as necessary until it finds nothing.

Here is a more recent version of Power DVD10.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56904.exe

Save it to the desk top, but don't run it yet. First install Win RAR file extractor and restart.

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Right click on the install file of DVD10 and choose to "extract files"

Click on the unpacked file of DVD10 and scroll to the bottom and find the install file (10th one from the bottom) the file is 310 KB.

Click on that and that should begin the installation of DVD10.

I recommend that you get rid of AVG if you haven't paid for it and Just use Microsoft Security Essentials. One isn't any better or then other.

Here is the AVG removal tool, you can always reinstall it later.

http://www.avg.com/ca-en/utilities

HP Recommended

Thanks, I got a bit farther, and I'd also like to apologize for commenting on a "solved" thread. I hadn't noticed when I posted my issue.

Now I've PowerDVD loads the disc to about 24% and then says "Playback stopped because your graphics card driver is incompatible... Run BD Advisor tool for more information."

Running the BD Advisor gives me:

BDAdvisor.jpg

dv7t Quad Ed
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• 2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz
• 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
• FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• No Additional Office Software
• FREE Upgrade to Norton Internet Security(TM) 2011 - 15 Month Subscription (activation required)
• High Capacity 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 5.5 hours of battery life +++
• 17.3" diagonal HD+ HP BrightView LED Display (1600 x 900)
• Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner
• HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
• Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN with Wireless Display Support
• Standard Keyboard
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Once again, I really appreciate the help.

HP Recommended

I need your full model number, see screen shot.

dv7.PNG

Go into the "Control Panel" and find "Auto Play" make sure and check to see if Power DVD10 is chosen fro Blu-ray playback in that list, if it's not, choose to do so and save the setting.

Restart and eject the DVD drawer with the button on the drawer face, insert you Blu-ray.

Let it load automatically with out opening Power DVD10. Try this first...

You may need a new driver for your card, bit I do need your full model number.

Either number 4 and/or number 3 in the screen shot. Don't give me the serial number.

Also go into the AVG virus chest and see if there are any critical files that may have been blocked to do with Blu-ray play-back and/or Cyberlink. (Take a screen shot if you have to and post it here)

I took a look at the AVG forums and they have this problem over there of AVG reporting "False Positives" In other words blocking things that AVG thinks it's a virus.

HP Recommended

I had a bunch of problems too...I did all the windows updates and then I had to go to Intel's site directly to download the upgrade of for the Intel HD 4000 graphics driver.  My computer has both the descrete Nvidia and the integrated Intel graphics cards and it turns out that PowerDVD only uses the Intel graphics card.  Windows update would not allow me to update it so I had to go directly to Intel to get the updated driver.  I have heard bad things about going directly to intel to get a graphics driver, but I have done it twice and it has only fixed the problems I was having.  Just create a restore point if you are scared and if it fails just go back...

...so in short, just find out which graphics card you are using and update the driver by going to the manufactures website!

...it worked for me!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.