cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ekblackwell Tutor
Tutor
7 5 1 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion dv7 getting error: Boot device not found. Hard Disk (3F0)

Pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Something fell on my keyboard and I got a black screen with this error. (Typing this on my tablet.) I do hear the hard drive soon. I'm on vacation so I don't have any OS disks. I have done everything the Support Assistant, forum posts, and other forms say to do. 

1) Hard reset. After I did this, the laptop gives 20 rapid, low volume beeps whenever I turn power on. 

2) Reset BIOS defaults. 

3) Reseat hard drive twice.  (Now the one screw is stripped.)

4) Looked under Boot Device Options.  Nothing there. 

5) Tried hard drive check under UEFI. Both types say NOT INSTALLED. 

6) Tried to go into HP Recovery Assistance (F11) but wouldn't come up. I get the Boot Device error again. 

I also called Support - I can't believe how hard they make that - but they asked they were no help.

I hope someone here can help.  I have work I have to get done. TIA!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
16124 16068 1492 3573
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ekblackwell

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I wish I had good news for you -- but I don't ...

From your description, it sounds like whatever fell on the laptop damaged the hard drive as well -- as that error code means the drive is unusable.

Sorry, but there is no software solution to your current problem because, at the very least, the drive needs to be replaced.

Then, you will have to use HP Recovery Media to restore your laptop to its original state.

HP Recovery Media is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities. In some cases, you may be able to order a USB stick instead of disks. You have to order these from HP; they can not be downloaded.

You can look online for Recovery Media starting with the linked paged: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once there, input your Product name or number. On your Software and Drivers Download page, select your Operating System and and Version. Click "Update". If HP Recovery Media is available for your machine, down near the bottom of the page, you will see an entry for Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB. Click the "+" symbol to expand that entry and click on Order Media for details.

Or, if you prefer, you can do the same by contacting HP Customer Service:

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

---------------------------------------

If HP no longer provides Recovery Media for your model, a couple of other sites you can check are: http://www.computersurgeons.com/ and http://www.restoredisks.com/

Once you have the new drive installed and the PC restored to its original condition, you can then try connecting the existing drive to the PC using a USB-to-Hard Drive adapter and see if you can recover any of the files or folders from it.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ekblackwell Tutor
Tutor
7 5 1 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying.

Since I'm on vacation and need this in a day or so, sounds like I'm better off taking it to a PC repair place,  put as little money as possible into it and get a new machine next year. 😞

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
16124 16068 1492 3573
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, I understand ...

But you need to be aware that the ONLY version of Windows that will work in your laptop is the HP OEM version that came preinstalled from HP.

Repair places are notorious for imaging a PC with whatever version of Windows they have onhand -- and that causes serious problems, due to (1) lack of proper drivers, and (2) activation problems.

The Repair place will need to use HP Recovery Media to restore your PC, otherwise, it will not have the right drivers and it will not activate -- as the ONLY version that will activate using the product key that came with your PC is an HP OEM version.

0 Kudos
ekblackwell Tutor
Tutor
7 5 1 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Then I'm screwed. I didn't get any Windows CDs. And as I have said,  I'm away;  I have access to nothing. I can't believe they make it so you can't hire a professional but instead people who have no tools and no experience or comfort level are told to do it themselves.

And why doesn’t HP tell you all this in the support assistant immediately instead of me losing 2 days doing what they say will fix the problem? Not to mention,  the last page just says "test". 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
16124 16068 1492 3573
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I understand your frustration -- as I had a laptop fail on me on vacation two years ago, and it was dead until I could get back home and work to recover it.

This is how OEM products work -- the price is lower because the OEM, under a license from Microsoft, installs a custom version of the OS on their products.  The license embedded into the UEFI firmware of the laptop motherboards works ONLY with the OS version preinstalled by the OEM.

This is not just HP, but is also true of other laptop vendors, including Sony, Acer, Toshiba, ASUS, Lenovo -- and others.

I never said you could not hire a Professional to restore your laptop, I only cautioned that repair places often take the cheapest path in order to make the most money, and often Image a PC with whatever version of Windows they have lying around.  An actual HP repair facility would be able to obtain HP OEM media to image your laptop.

As to doing it yourself, that is to save money.  So, instead of paying a repair facility $100 (or more) to reimage your laptop, for a LOT less, you can purchase HP Recovery Media and do it yourself.  It's like replacing disk brakes on a car -- you can do it yourself for under $50 or you can pay a garage over $200 to do it.

I don't understand your comment about HP Support Assistant, as that is NOT designed to reinstall the OS from scratch, but only to do updates to drivers and HP apps, and some diagnostics.

0 Kudos
ekblackwell Tutor
Tutor
7 5 1 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I dropped it off at an HP repair place. We'll see; I expect them to say what you did which is that the hard drive is gone. Then I'll weigh which is better: fixing a nearly five-year-old computer or using the company's network to buy a new one at a reduced cost. Like I did with this one. I started reading up on what the best laptops are, just in case.

I appreciate all the help!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation