cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Pavilion dv7 upgrade to windows 10

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Has anyone had success upgrading a dv7 laptop to windows 10? I attempted a few months ago but had the flickering screen problem discussed in other posts, I need the computer, so the end result was to  undo the upgrade until a later time.

I was hoping to get confirmation that it will work before wasting another day of my life on an upgrade destined for failure.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
27,061 26,989 2,466 5,860
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

crash700

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about upgrading your DV7 to Win10 and wanted to help.

I haven't done a DV7 but I have done a DV6 -- with success -- and will share what it took.

First off, the Upgrades can be disasters!  They can trash your PC and render it unusable.  It did that twice to me, and the first time, I did not expect it (having believe the LIE that MS said that I could revert at any time!), so it took me days to restore my PC.  The second time, I was prepare -- and used Macrium Reflect to make an Image of my install on an external drive.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.  This is a LOT less time than wasting a day (or more) recovering a corrupted system!

Second, I did a clean-install, and despite having a valid Win7 product key, it would NOT activate.  I called MS and wasted my time -- getting a couple of Idiots who knew less about their products than I do!  I learned a valuable lesson from this, too.  The lesson is to read through this link and create the genuineticket.xml file:  Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

After you have that file, if the Upgrade does not work, you can then (1) use MR to restore your original system in only a few minutes, (2) create the genuineticket.xml file, (3) boot from Win10 media and do a clean-install, (4) use the genuineticket.xml file to activate Win10.

You can create Win10 install media from this link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation